MXL 2003, is it different to 2003A?

buzzard bass

Terminated
Hi, my mic arrived from Amazon, and it just says 2003 as the model number, I ordered the 2003A, are these the same or different, many thanks guys.

I looked into it myself, seems they are different, the specs are different too so I've sent a return notice to Amazon requesting the correct item. Nice thing is they pay to return the item.

Darn near everything is different except the body. The 2003A is a GOOD mic, though! Not that the 2003 is bad. It just needed some help. Personally I've turned the regular 2003 into a stellar mic. Not sure I can do the same with the 2003A.

Darn near everything is different except the body. The 2003A is a GOOD mic, though! Not that the 2003 is bad. It just needed some help. Personally I've turned the regular 2003 into a stellar mic. Not sure I can do the same with the 2003A.
Did you do mods yourself, or through one of the modding businesses?

Paul

New mic arrived, it is the 2003A, be sending the 2003 back to Amazon (my favorite store in the world) in the next coupla days. Can't really fault the guy that sent the wrong one, they are packaged exactly the same except for a sticker on the box of the new one that says it the new one. It even has the 2003 specs listed on the box. I checked the mic, it is a 2003A, kind of a half assed way to deal with an excess box situation when introducing a new product. Another reason to shop with Amazon. If it aint right first time it will be in a couple of days.

New mic arrived, it is the 2003A, be sending the 2003 back to Amazon (my favorite store in the world) in the next coupla days. Can't really fault the guy that sent the wrong one, they are packaged exactly the same except for a sticker on the box of the new one that says it the new one. It even has the 2003 specs listed on the box. I checked the mic, it is a 2003A, kind of a half assed way to deal with an excess box situation when introducing a new product. Another reason to shop with Amazon. If it aint right first time it will be in a couple of days.

Hey Buzzard ..... I hope you enjoy your new sound source capturing device. :)

:cool:

Thank you mah san! Now I just have to get some stands.

I will say I liked Badger airbrush's way of dealing with old packaging better than MXL's.

Did you do mods yourself, or through one of the modding businesses?

Paul

I do them all myself. Its been a real obsession of late. Actually for the past 5 years. Aiming at perfection and getting darn closer with each one.

For some mics I've progressed beyond 'mods' and have started building my own circuits, at least on the tube side of things.

Thank you mah san! Now I just have to get some stands.

I will say I liked Badger airbrush's way of dealing with old packaging better than MXL's.

If your not purchasing the big heavy duty studio ones then be sure to get ones that have a low center of gravity ..... not like the "on stage" brand or similar for you'll notice that their tripod is very high off the ground and any microphone with girth will pull it right over. BANG big dent in your microphone grill from the floor!
KLM and similar are good!

:cool:

Modding the MXL 2003

I do them all myself. Its been a real obsession of late. Actually for the past 5 years. Aiming at perfection and getting darn closer with each one.

For some mics I've progressed beyond 'mods' and have started building my own circuits, at least on the tube side of things.

Hi there,
Just wondering - what exactly is your mod? I have a 2003 and would love to make it better!
Thanks,
Joey

SPAM: Royer mod pcbs available

Hi there,
Just wondering - what exactly is your mod? I have a 2003 and would love to make it better!
Thanks,
Joey

You can probably do a Royer mod. (Replace the entire circuit with one based around a 5840 submini tube.)

I just made a run of PCB;s for it and I am embarking on a Royer mod to a 2001, and have a thread started in DIY. A quick look at the MXL 2003 | RecordingHacks.com suggests a similar type of capsule as the 2001. If you want a set of PCB's pm me.

Back