Mxl 2001

cominginsecond

Decentralized Media Mogul
I got this mic from GC this weekend because if you bought it (the price is $99) you got the MXL 990 and 991 for free. Three condensers for $99. Not too shabby.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should just sell the 2001 (since it has such a crappy reputation), or whether I should try to use it. The reason why I don't just try it out is that, if I sell it, I want to sell it as new. Otherwise it will be worth so little it won't be worth selling anyway.

Does anyone use this mic? If so, on what? What are your general impressions?

i'd second blue bear's sentiment. i don't know if you're gonna get more than a box of animal crackers for the mic though... there are lots of sellers, no buyers.

i got one free in one of those double packs. i'd agree w/ what blue bear said, and add that i sometimes find it to sound good close micing my mesa boogie. it has a far away type of sound somehow that can add a 3D element to my mixes sometimes ... (sharp contrast to the in your face presence of the NT1 that I use for a lot of my vocals and acoustic guitars).

darrin_h2000 said:
...but there are alot of mods that will make it shine.
True, but the thing with this mic is that it has a very crappy output transformer (very cheap metal used for the laminations). So to mod it, you'll either have to get a good output transformer ($50-$100) or drop in an entire new circuit.

Of course, if you do the Royer-tube mod you'll end up replacing the circuit and the transformer. Plus, you'll have to build a power supply. But it's worth it when you're done! :D

If you sold it, looks like it'd bring at least $50. Then you could buy a MXL 1006 or 2003 that you could easily upgrade - change 3 caps (~$5) and you're done (they don't use the crappy transformer). I've got a 2003 with the caps changed and it sounds great, whereas I didn't like it before. A friend of mine has changed the caps on his 1006 and says it sounds great also. Other than the 2003 being more expensive, the only major difference between these mics is the capsule (the 2003 capsule has a 3-micron diaphragm and the 1006's capsule has a 6-micron). The circuit is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
I was thinking much the same thing. Make it your first DIY project, and if it goes well you will, from the reviews, have a kick ass tube mic!

Hey, where can I get the info on that 2003 mod??? I have the 2003 and it sounds like something I'd like to try.
Thanks,
-k

Back