MXL 1006 or V67?

elevate

I'm looking to spend around $100 on a condenser mic and it appears that these two are my top candidates - other model suggestions are appreciated. So, what are the key differences between the two (the MXL site isn't particularly informative)? The mic will serve as a vocal mic and perhaps as an overhead for my drums. It will be run through a Behringer Ultra-Voice VX2000 mic pre (unless I find something better for the same price in the next couple days). Thanks.

I can't really tell you the difference because I own a V67 but not a 1006. The v67 is a nice vocal mic--especially for $100.

You could also check out Studio Projects new B-1($80).For a mic pre,you should have a look at the M=Audio Audio Buddy ($80).

I own a V67 and use it primarily as a vocal mic. I really like it, especially for 100 bucks. I don't usually mic a hihat when recording drums, but last week, I had a song that had a lot of emphasis on the hat. So I used the V67 for that. It handles the high end well and I wouldn't be surprised if you got decent results on overhead. Also the pickup pattern on this thing is pretty wide. I don't know if it's omni, but close.

I own the 1006 and we used it last year recording 6 acoustic guitars outdoors in a sort of mic shootout with an Ocktava and an AKG and the 1006 performed admirably!
To hear it check out LI SLIM's Artist Launch page.

escalate said:
I'm looking to spend around $100 on a condenser mic and it appears that these two are my top candidates - other model suggestions are appreciated. So, what are the key differences between the two (the MXL site isn't particularly informative)? The mic will serve as a vocal mic and perhaps as an overhead for my drums. It will be run through a Behringer Ultra-Voice VX2000 mic pre (unless I find something better for the same price in the next couple days). Thanks.

I own a V67G, and have gotten very nice results running it through an Ultragain Pro (which I am in the process of replacing). Be sure to record onto a Mac, because they are far superior to Windows based programs for audio.

* cricket *

* chirp *

* coyote howl *

* tumbleweed rolls by *

JUST KIDDING!!! :D :D

I really like my 1006. I had great success with it on vocals, accoustic guitars, drum overhead and room mic on a live recording. Great mic for the money.

(I'm realizing that we're not making this dilema any easier with everyone telling you that both mics are wonderfull, but at least you know you can't go wrong...)

Oren

Back