Muttley's Custom LP Guitar Build

muttley said:
Goes on all right... It is supposed to have a cure time of three hours but with the temp here right now it was best left over night.
Thanks for spending the time to explain that for me. I went shopping for epoxy a few weeks ago when I was first experimenting with this. It seems in this world of instantaneous gratification that slow curing epoxies are getting hard to find. I assumed that the longer pot life would make it easier to do a clean application. I bought some that was listed as a 1 hour initial cure time. It was thick, but seemed to spread out smoothly. It worked well for filling a few deep imperfections that I used it for. They were indistinguishable when I was done. I'll play with it some more before I finish the guitar that I'm working on now. I'm fairly confident with most parts of the construction, but that all goes out the window when I start applying finish.:o:rolleyes:

Thanks for spending the time to explain that for me. I went shopping for epoxy a few weeks ago when I was first experimenting with this. It seems in this world of instantaneous gratification that slow curing epoxies are getting hard to find. I assumed that the longer pot life would make it easier to do a clean application. I bought some that was listed as a 1 hour initial cure time. It was thick, but seemed to spread out smoothly. It worked well for filling a few deep imperfections that I used it for. They were indistinguishable when I was done. I'll play with it some more before I finish the guitar that I'm working on now. I'm fairly confident with most parts of the construction, but that all goes out the window when I start applying finish.:o:rolleyes:

I know what you mean about finishing but it is really just a case of going slow, following manufacturers instructions and testing on scrap. When you ahve a regime that works, stick to it. Do you have spray gear?

Having now used this z-poxy I'd say definitely give it a go. It took three coats, cutting back with 400 between each to flat it out and a thin wet coat to level the colour which I just denibbed but the results are good and it is easier to sand than many I have used. They do two types so go for what they call finishing resin. It's an epoxy but it flows a bit easier than standard stuff.

Pictures don't really show it but the after shooting a sealer coat it's really flat and bright. In case you are wondering how I avoid getting overspray in the control cavities I fill them with sponge and lay paper on top of the sponge which is changed with each lay up...;) The front has a wash coat of shellac on it to protect it but tomorrow it will get a sealer coat. After that nothing more until I have the thing together and the final routes and holes drilled.

sealer.jpg

Thats the stuff.. A bottle that size will keep you going for about a dozen instruments. A toothpaste squeeze amount will cover pretty much a whole front or back surface or neck maybe.

I got the z-poxy today. I'll experiment with it this weekend. I'm excited that this might be the solution I'm looking for.

I got the z-poxy today. I'll experiment with it this weekend. I'm excited that this might be the solution I'm looking for.

I was pretty impressed with it and I'm not easily impressed with this stuff any more. If you need any pointers just shout but from one shot myself so far I would say that you need to get the mix right with not too much hardener as it can sand a bit rubbery. Keep the temps up, it was on the cold side here and it took longer that stated to fully cure. I have tested it with shellac and sanding sealer, tru oil and also pre cat nitro and it seems to be OK. Pay particular attention to the final coat and make sure that it is really thin and the colour is even as it does change the depth of colour on bare wood and any dry spots grin through. You just need to scuff off the last coat if you get it on thin and flat enough. Other than that it seems pretty fool proof and definitely the best epoxy filler I have found so far..

Good luck.

Have had a bit of a rush this month clearing up all the work that got left after christmas plus the wife decided to have a 50th and I got roped in so been away for a bit.....

Anyhoo, I had the thing loaded up with polish and it needed to sit for a while. I shot nitro on the body back and sides and have the neck done in tru oil cos thats the feel I like. The top I decided to do a french polish shellac style on because I wanted to test out the z-poxy filler on as many finishes as I could. All seems to have gone well and I learned a bit from it.. The final cut and buff will be when its just about done but the thing shines quite well so far... Hard to capture shine on a phone camera.

Her it is with the fittings starting to go on as I work through drilling all the body holes and preparing for the neck to be glued on. After that it's assembly and setup. Should have it done soon as long as other people don'r need stuff done in the meantime..

fittings.jpg

fittings2.jpg

fittings1.jpg

beautiful ......... I could sit here and gush about every detail but I'll spare ya'.

Nice nice work.

That's beautiful, Muttely.

I think there may be a bit if confusion, when you say about "a grand" are you talking British Pounds or US Dollars?

I can't imagine you producing custom gits at this level for ~$1000.

Man, beautiful guitar and top notch craftsmanship muttley. I'm enjoying this thread and learning new things.
Thanks for sharing this project with us.

That's beautiful, Muttely.

I think there may be a bit if confusion, when you say about "a grand" are you talking British Pounds or US Dollars?

I can't imagine you producing custom gits at this level for ~$1000.

not this one for a grand and it would be sterling. A stock standard finish with less expensive timber would come in around 1.5K. Where did I say a grand? If I did that would be about what it cost in time and parts...I got add my bread and keep money...

Wow man, that's just awesome as hell....I went back from the first post you made following your progress, & it's unreal what you've done.....Looks great, super, super job!!!!!

not this one for a grand and it would be sterling. A stock standard finish with less expensive timber would come in around 1.5K. Where did I say a grand? If I did that would be about what it cost in time and parts...I got add my bread and keep money...

well, whoever is the beneficiary of one of your handmade guitars is obviously very fortunate, indeed.

well, whoever is the beneficiary of one of your handmade guitars is obviously very fortunate, indeed.

I looked back over the thread and when I mentioned the 1k thing, that was for some models like tele's or similar that I do a few at a time and have all the basic cuts templated and jigged.I can build one of those in around two days minus finishing.. These days I still have plenty of work so haven't done that in a while.

want one !!! .. no,want 2,we need a few hi res pics when she`s done .. and some clips ;)

seriously i would love to play her :D

Back