Mustang Sally Cover - any opinions/suggestions appreciated

jjjtttggg

Hi there HR folks,

Been a while since I posted here. Been away from recording for a while, but the band I'm playing with needs a demo, and I have some stuff and some little bit of experience so I'm the defacto recording engineer. Overall I'm pretty happy with the track. I may go back and add some guitar lead fills. I'm on the fence about that though, cause I kinda like the simplicity of it as-is. I know the drums aren't great. I spent lots of time getting the OHs set up, but not enough time making sure I had a good snare sound and even moreso a good kick sound. (I'm limited to four tracks recording at one time). I set up the overhead using Recorderman technique, which worked great for toms and cymbals, but my snare track has tons of hi-hat in it that I don't need and the kick is just really muddy. We have four more tracks to do so if anybody has suggestions based on how this sounds for getting better drums, I'd love to hear them... I have two middle of the road pencil condensers for overheads and two 57s that I used for kick and snare. I also have a really nice large diaphragm condenser (Shure KTM9). In my mind it's a vocal mic, but I'm thinking it might do better for the kick than the 57 did. Maybe. Any thoughts?

Also, of course, any advice on the mix is appreciated!!! Here's the link:

Listen to TBD - Mustang Sally - The Music Hutch - Upload Music. Search Music. Share Music. Listen to Music.

Best regards,
J

Thanks forhaving a listen guys. I definitely would like the snare to be louder, but the snare mic picked up WAAAY too much hat. I don't think I placed it properly. For our next session, I'll be doing that a little differently... Along with trying to track a better kick sound!

Thanks again,
J

It's a nice sound, but agree that the drums (as opposed to the ride) should be louder. I also wish the arrangement built a bit more during the song - it's pretty much the same chord voicings & instrumentation at the start and the end. If you re-record, could you have the 2nd rhythm guitar start throwing in some lead riffs to boost the energy?

BTW, I really like the singer!

Back