musicxp tuning tips

sodapopinski

I apologize for posting so many "newbie" questions... but things continue to get better for me, so why not keep asking.

Ok, here's the problem now. I went to the musicxp tuning tips site, and tweaked all of my settings. But now I am having more problems than I've ever had with dropout. It also gives me an error message that I've never gotten before that says,

"Unable to save entire recording. The audio disk may be full"

Running with ASIO seems to be the worse... while WMD is the best, but the soundfonts sound much better with ASIO than WMD, and I use them a lot in my recordings.

Any ideas?

Here's my sys. specs.
Amd Athlon 1.4
256 ram
Audigy 2 Platinum EX
Geforce 2 MX

Also, I started having major issues when I bought my Audigy 2. It replaced an Audigy 1 that worked fine. But, at the same time, I also updraded from Sonar 2.0 XL to 2.2 XL. Could this be the problem. Maybe I'll uninstall Sonar, and reinstall without the upgrade.

What do you think...
Or should I just get and RMA for my Audigy 2 and give in to the dark side (or is it light side?) and buy the Audiophile everyone seems to think is the best. how does this card work with games, etc. Would it work well together with my Audigy 1? And how about midi? I've heard that the Soundblasters work much better with midi than the Audiophile.

sodapopinski said:
"Unable to save entire recording. The audio disk may be full"

Have you checked how much space you have available on you HDD where you store audio? .. or both/all drives?

Drop Outs... that usually mean you have your latency set too low.. what is it set to. One of the advantages of WDM drivers are that you can run the Wave Profiler and it will give you the best configuration with latency so you won't get many/any dropouts.

sodapopinski said:
Also, I started having major issues when I bought my Audigy 2. It replaced an Audigy 1 that worked fine. But, at the same time, I also updraded from Sonar 2.0 XL to 2.2 XL. Could this be the problem. Maybe I'll uninstall Sonar, and reinstall without the upgrade.

I'm assuming that you updated the Sound Card Driver? You may need to uninstall the old drive first... When you have it back up, try running it with the WDM drivers. See how that goes, then try running the ASIO drivers (with the same latency as you were with WDM) and see how that goes.

Give that a try... then re-assess the situation.

Porter

Actually, before I installed the Audigy 2 I formated my hard drive and reinstalled XP. It needed a clean install anyways. The hardrive I store my music files on has 99.3 gig's of free space :) The other one only has 18.1 gig's.

I've been messing around with WDM drivers, and the best I've gotten it is to where I can record 3, sometimes 4, seperate tracks before it starts dropping out. I guess I might just have to bounce all of these tracks together to get more, allthough that's kinda annoying when recording multiple vocals and guitars and I'm not ready to mix them down yet.

My default latency is set to 50. I've tried it anywhere from 2 - 300. Same result. Actually, when it's set above 150, sometimes it drops out right away... if that makes any sense.

Right now I'm working my way through the manual section on droupouts. We'll see.

Soda

Bump...

I know a couple of the other guys on the board use Sound Blaster... and other say they suck.

With a 150ms latency I couldn't imagine getting too many drop outs with just 4 tracks in playback..

Porter

Back