MusicMatch Jukebox

raab

Okay, don't laugh...

I'm stuck using an HP Pavilion and Musicmath Jukebox to record my 4-track mixes. Anyways, I at some point in the recording process onto Jukebox, there's a bunch of skips. Is this something that is likely in the Jukebox software, or is some other program on the computer running and causing the skip? I'd like to get better software to record onto, but if the computer is too wacky I don't see the point...

It's a middle-powered HP Pavilion from 2001. Not really any software running on it that it didn't come with already installed. I'd love to get mixing mastering software for it, but I'm afriad the computer is too weak to support it. That's why I'm not even thinking about putting anything like Logic or Cubase on it. I just want to be able to throw my tunes onto CD without any skipping in the middle of the recording.

I've been mixing to minidisk and then playing the minidisk into the computer and as WAV file through Jukebox. But I hear minidisks are bad about compressing and altering the music they record, so I want to try just going direct from the 4-track into the computer.

Has anybody used Jukebox on their computers and had problems with it skipping during the recording process?

Audacity is the way to go if you don't want to spend any money.

Krystal Audio is also free and limited to 8 tracks.

N-Track Studio (~$60) is also good on lesser PCs and does an excellent job. I could get 30+ tracks playing on my old PII-450Mhz Gateway, so your Pavillion should work fine too....

Your computer should be pretty ok for basic recording (only one track..). Audacity is worth trying. It's certainly better than Jukebox for recording.

what 4-track are u using? cassette?

TimOBrien said:
Audacity is the way to go if you don't want to spend any money.

Krystal Audio is also free and limited to 8 tracks.

N-Track Studio (~$60) is also good on lesser PCs and does an excellent job. I could get 30+ tracks playing on my old PII-450Mhz Gateway, so your Pavillion should work fine too....
I believe Kristal is actually a 16 track!

How is the sound quality on N-Track and Kristal?

Would the audio quality be any better than recording each track onto a minidisk and somebody recording the minidisk onto protools via an MBox?

A minidisc, as a function of the medium, will compress your audio when writing to disc, which may have an undesirable effect on sound quality. (IIRC)

Recording directly into multitrack recording software will leave your signal 'unmodified' so yes I think it would be advantageous to record this way instead of to minidisc, provided that you record at a decent bit-depth and sample rate.

For the most part, the sound quality of all decent recording programs will be comparable. Yeah, you can argue about the quality of their summing and what not, but your front end (mics, acoustic environment, pre-amp, skill of the engineer) is much more important when determing the quality. Once you have an amazing front end, you can quibble about the differences in sound quality among the different software packages.

Oh yeah, dump the minidisc!

raab said:
How is the sound quality on N-Track and Kristal?

Would the audio quality be any better than recording each track onto a minidisk and somebody recording the minidisk onto protools via an MBox?

Back