MusicMan pricing.

So, I'm looking to pick up a MusicMan Sterling for my recording setup at home. I've almost got everything I need to start tracking full songs, except a bass currently isn't lined up and in my sights.

I know I want a Sterling, I just need to know if anyone has any experience with MusicMan price ranges.

I wanted a used Sterling, but finding the colors I want (candy red, black, silver/grey, or metallic blue) with a matching headstock and rosewood fretboard seems to be difficult. I just recently let a nice blue one go on eBay before I was sure of their worth. I should have snagged it in hindsight.

But, anyway, getting off track. If I wanted to walk into the Guitar Center and order a brand new Sterling, how much should I be paying?

Most sites show new Sterlings going for ~$1,200. How much do you think I would be able to whack them down to? I know different companies are different. You can whack the price down on an Ibanez, but a PRS... not so much. I know you can't deal with Mesa/Boogie prices too much either.

If anyone has any experience getting MusicMan instruments new within the last few years, please let me know.

Thanks.

If you are going to be super picky about colors and options you will never get the best deal possible. Retailers are much more motivated to move their existing stock. I beleive most retailers will do the standard 30% drop on EBMM stuff, anything beyond that is gravy. Again though, if you're custom ordering they may not even do that.
The Sterling is a great bass. I love mine. Got it used of ebay for $750 as I recall.

A

30% off of $1200 is only like $850. You think they'd sell a new Sterling that low?

Are you talking 30% off of list price? Or the usual price they put on the floor? There usually seems to be 3 prices. The price they would LIKE to get, the price most are posted for, and the true price of the instrument.

[edit] Nope... I guess not. 30% off their list price is the usual show floor price. Might be able to get them lower, but probably not by a whole lot.

Thanks [/edit]

THe list price on Sterlings in 1725. The standard retail discount is 30%, which comes to $1207.50. A quick check to Musician's Friend shows they indeed have it at that exact price.
If you watch GC or some other retailer you might find one that's old stock or has a ding for less. If you are a good haggler you might be able to dicker a few more dollars off, but not much.
If you special order one, it will likely cost you more that 1207.50. Retailers would rather sell the ones they have in stock.

A

Oh crap. On the Ernie Ball forum, I just found out they're going to be producing dual humbucker models of the Stingray and the Sterling and they start taking orders Monday.

There goes all hope of getting a deal. It will probably cost an arm and a leg, but, damn... a dual humbucker Sterling probably sounds mean. :)

Thanks for your help though.

I think I'd much rather have a dual single coil one, more like a jazz bass config. Single coils sound better for recording IMO.

A

From what I heard, Sterlings had coil taps. If worse came to worse I could add coil taps for each pickup on my own.

Versatility is what I'm going for. Two humbuckers with 5 positions and independent coil taps should be far more versatile than I should ever really need.

I agree with Aaron. Played a little festival recently, feedback on the best sounding basses - my Fender Jazz and another guy's single coil Stingray. So much cleaner.

I can't speak to the Bass but I did score a nicely priced EBMM JPM through the GC. One of the posters indicated that being picky about the color and config might be a problem when trying to negotiate a price...true but, I worked around it by having the sales kid search out my Mystic Dream. He found it for me in another state...I told him that it sucked that I couldn't see it first hand and casually asked where it was. I then turned around and called the store where it was located. I called several times showing my sincere interest and eventually, I got a deal I couldn't pass up. The thing that worked in my favor is that these usually are fairly expensive guitars...they don't move out the doors as fast as the cheaper guitars. The GC is all about moving inventory. Don't be afraid to "work" the sales guy...if he doesn't seem motivated, ask to speak with the manager. Ultimately any big discounts are going to need manager approval anyways.

Good luck!

wanted to add that buying a guitar at GC is like buying a car.....you shouldn't pay what their ticket says. If they are selling it for 1200 on the floor than you can get them lower than that. They have a price on the computer that they can't go below, but they can go below what they are selling it for on the floor....

Back