MusicMan JPM

Nanahime

Hi there. I think I remember seeing this MusicMan John Petrucci Model guitar selling for really high price like... around $3000 or so ... Was it that expensive when it first came out? I'm just wondering..

Nope...I've got two...the first one I purchased new I think was about $1600. The second, I purchased used this weekend. Paid $1300 for it. Both are JPM's. The first is a 7 string with the piezo's and the second is a 6 string without peizo's. Both are Mystic Dream finish.

thanks

yeah, now it's around that price right.. I thought I saw it really high priced on Ebay 4 -5 yrs ago.. It ever got premium or something one time??

I remember it taking a while for EB's production to catch up with demand, so during that period there may have been some folks who got their hands on the early JP's trying to milk a little extra money out of those who really REALLY wanted an EB JP.

I've had several of the JP's (a candy apple red 6, a mystic dream 6, and a carbon blue pearl 7), and they're great guitars for the money... EB's workmanship is top notch (I think they're some of the best bolt-ons you can get) and they play like butter. Personally, I find the tone of 'em a bit dark for my tastes... I actually prefer the tone of the Ibanez JPM's, of which I also had several over the years (a JPM1, two JPM2's, a JPM3, and two JPM90's).

--B

Could be that I got my first one after the production curve. I've had it about 3 years now...maybe a little longer.

I tend to agree with the dark tone comment. They really are scouped in the mid range but depending on the rest of your set up, I find that I can compensate with the trusty ol' EQ pedal. I prefer the sound with the EQ at the amp input rather than trying to over compensate at the amp head.

I've had only one issue with my #1 EB MMJPM. The serial number indicates that it is an earlier production model. I had a small crack which was in the body at the top by the neck joint. There was a bit of scuttle about that awhile back. Turns out to be a surface crack in the paint. But even after having it for 2 years, when I finally noticed it (it was that small), I contacted EB, they repainted the guitar and paid for the shipping...no questions asked. Turn around was about 2 weeks. The #2 EB MMJPM which is a much newer model doesn't have this problem.

Back