Musician Given Death Penalty for Smoking Pot

Dragon

Large and Scaly Mixing Maniac
Medical marijuana user dies without transplant

By Associated Press

SEATTLE (AP) - A musician who was denied a liver transplant because he used marijuana with medical approval under Washington state law to ease the symptoms of advanced hepatitis C died Thursday.

The death of Timothy Garon, 56, at Bailey-Boushay House, an intensive care nursing center was confirmed to The Associated Press by his lawyer, Douglas Hiatt, and Alisha Mark, a spokeswoman for Virginia Mason Medical Center, which operates Bailey-Boushay.

Dr. Brad Roter, the physician who authorized Garon to smoke pot to alleviate for nausea and abdominal pain and to stimulate his appetite, said he did not know it would be such a hurdle if Garon were to need a transplant.

The case has highlighted a new ethical consideration for those allocating organs for transplant, especially in the dozen states that have medical marijuana laws: When dying patients need a transplant, should it be held against them if they've used pot with a doctor's blessing?

Garon died a week after his doctor told him a University of Washington Medical Center committee had again denied him a spot on the liver transplant list because of his use of marijuana, although it was authorized under Washington state law.

"He said I'm going to die with such conviction," Garon told an AP reporter at the time. "I'm not angry, I'm not mad, I'm just confused."

Garon believes he contracted hepatitis C by sharing needles with "speed freaks" as a teenager. In recent years, he said, pot has been the only drug he's used. In December, he was arrested for growing marijuana.

He had been in the hospice for two months and previously was rejected for a transplant at Swedish Medical Center for the same reason he later got from the university hospital.

Swedish said he would be considered if he avoided pot for six months and the university hospital offered to reconsider if he enrolled in a 60-day drug treatment program, but doctors said his liver disease was too advanced for him to last that long. The university hospital committee agreed to reconsider anyway, then denied him again.

I'll bet you the suckers wouldn't wait one second to take a liver donation from a pot smoker. This reaks more than skunkweed!

If you ever wonder how screwed up our country really is, there is prime example.

Though you must admit, Dragon's "death penalty" thread title is just a bit sensationalist. We're all products of our information, I guess.

I have nothing against herb, in it's pure form...and I think it should be legalized...but...I have a different point of view about transplants.

If someone needs an organ transplant, due to abuse of their body in the first place...such as shooting up speed...then they should be considered for a transplant, ONLY after others, whom have not abused their bodies intentionally, are considered. Maybe that sounds cold, but that is how I feel about it...to accept that transplant may be a survival instinct...but a selfish one at that... in my opinion.

Sometimes we deal "ourselves" a bad hand in life..whether due to ignorance, stupidity..or just plain not-give-a-shit attitude....and usually, we have to play that hand out...whether we like it or not...and eventually we have to fold...at some point...without any more loans from the bank...

I understand THIS decision to NOT give the transplant was due to his herb smoking, which apparently had nothing to do with the shape of his liver ...And the pot was physician prescribed. The decision should have been based on the reason his liver was dying in the first place and also...whether or not he was abusing it NOW...such as drinking. ( I personally think it possible they did use the speed use as a basis for their decisions, but knew the pot one had a stronger leg to stand on...since he had done the speed as a teen..but who knows..?)

I am sorry for the doods death and that he made unwise choices as a young kid...as many of us do...but hey, there are plenty of people who need those transplants, who did not make that choice to abuse their bodies in the first place.

I agree with Maud here. The thread title may as well be "pot kills man", since both completely avoid handing the responsibility to the guy who refuses to stop smoking pot so he can remain eligible to receive a transplant.

I think that there is a large pool of hopeful recipients and a smaller pool of available organs for transplant. Strict triage is necessary.

See that guy over there? The dude who doesn't smoke pot and has a higher chance of accepting a transplant without complications? He's getting a liver, smokey. :D

I have nothing against herb, in it's pure form...and I think it should be legalized...but...I have a different point of view about transplants.

If someone needs an organ transplant, due to abuse of their body in the first place...such as shooting up speed...then they should be considered for a transplant, ONLY after others, whom have not abused their bodies intentionally, are considered. Maybe that sounds cold, but that is how I feel about it...to accept that transplant may be a survival instinct...but a selfish one at that... in my opinion.

Sometimes we deal "ourselves" a bad hand in life..whether due to ignorance, stupidity..or just plain not-give-a-shit attitude....and usually, we have to play that hand out...whether we like it or not...and eventually we have to fold...at some point...without any more loans from the bank...

I understand THIS decision to NOT give the transplant was due to his herb smoking, which apparently had nothing to do with the shape of his liver ...And the pot was physician prescribed. The decision should have been based on the reason his liver was dying in the first place and also...whether or not he was abusing it NOW...such as drinking. ( I personally think it possible they did use the speed use as a basis for their decisions, but knew the pot one had a stronger leg to stand on...since he had done the speed as a teen..but who knows..?)

I am sorry for the doods death and that he made unwise choices as a young kid...as many of us do...but hey, there are plenty of people who need those transplants, who did not make that choice to abuse their bodies in the first place.

I agree 100%. Legalize it. AND: Allow people to be responsible for their own actions. No, make people responsible for their own actions.

:)

Strict triage is necessary.

See that guy over there? The dude who doesn't smoke pot and has a higher chance of accepting a transplant without complications? He's getting a liver, smokey. :D
I don't get how you're associating this with triage.

Where was it said that smoking pot would cause complications in accepting a liver? Does it? Might a pot smoker have less complications accepting a liver?

This is a prime example of one of the problems with the media, they push horseshit down our throats be it true or not. This is a prime example of what they've been teaching us since childhood, pot smoker = bad person. Now they've taken it to a newer level.

Smoking pot does not equal abusing your body. Wake up America! Sure you can abuse your body smoking it but you can do that with any substance.

I wonder what Steven Stills thinks of this? err oh ya, Rich person = Good person, sorry I forgot, must of been all that memory loss I have. Oh thank you again corporate America. Ya think if Garon had mo money he'd be alive today? For sure for sure... sometimes life really sucks the big one:(

The dude who doesn't smoke pot and has a higher chance of accepting a transplant without complications? He's getting a liver, smokey. :D
And I agree with a previous poster that you invented that factoid to try to demonize the use of cannabis, even though it was PRESCRIBED to him by a physician to deal with the complications of Hep C, a LIVER-damaging disease.

Are you proud to spread that bullshit around?

Why?

And I agree with a previous poster that you invented that factoid to try to demonize the use of cannabis, even though it was PRESCRIBED to him by a physician to deal with the complications of Hep C, a LIVER-damaging disease.

Are you proud to spread that bullshit around?

Why?

No, I'm not proud to spread bullshit around - Although you're one to talk. Why would you ascribe a motive for my misstatement? It was a misstatement. Not a policy platform. Good isn't always the enemy of perfect - keep that in mind as you bifurcate the entire world into your invented categories of ally and enemy. IOW, shut the fuck up, Stawl - and let a man live down a mistake. Jesus.

/slaps hippie/

Fact - The dude didn't get the transplant because he smoked pot. Not because pot is bad for your fucking liver - not that that has been established or proven to be incorrect - Just that it's use, whether by a physician's reccomendation or not, precluded him from participating in the program. END OF STORY.

Fact - The "prescription" for medical marijuana you mention was not to treat Hepatitis, but to treat one or more of it's symptoms - likely pain management and loss of appetite.

Fact - The person on the recipient list agreed to a number of stipulations, one or more of which he disregarded at his own peril.

Is that better? You guys act like since a physician (who is not administering a transplant program, I'll bet) reccomends the use of marijuana the recipient is somehow exempted from program guidelines.

Where was it said that smoking pot would cause complications in accepting a liver? Does it? Might a pot smoker have less complications accepting a liver?

I would count participation in an activity that would render an applicant ineligible for participation in the program as a FAIRLY FUCKING MAJOR COMPLICATION. What about you?

Here's another good example at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24594228/

Headline: Marijuana may up heart attack, stroke risk
Chronic pot smoking linked to hardening of the arteries, study finds.

Here's what they consider cronic: The marijuana users in the study averaged smoking 78 to 350 marijuana cigarettes per week, based on self-reported drug history, the researchers said.

That's over 10 joints a day at the least and 50 joints at day at the most. What a crock.

Why the fuck should I be embarrassed about some fucked up lie YOU told (merely to demonize users of cannabis) that I debunked? Huh?

Splain it to me Lucy! :rolleyes:

You shouldn't feel embarrassed.

You should not attribute to a malicious intent something that can be explained by a simple misstatement.
Which I have subsequently explained and you have subsequently ignored. Please substitute "recieving" for "accepting". Satisfied? Every word is true now. Suck it.

BTW, you haven't debunked anything except your yellow and dog-eared credibility. Please show me the studies that show smoking marijuana is good for your diseased liver.

And please explain to me what purpose it would serve to demonize a demographic that includes me?

Quit hyperventilating and think critically for two seconds. No, that was only one second. Keep trying.

Please show me the studies that show smoking marijuana is good for your diseased liver.

well that would be irellevent if he got the transplant the new liver would have been healthy !! and everybody nows if you smoke weed whilst hanging upside down on a friday between the hours of 2-3pm its good for your liver:D

I agree with Maud here. The thread title may as well be "pot kills man", since both completely avoid handing the responsibility to the guy who refuses to stop smoking pot so he can remain eligible to receive a transplant.

I think that there is a large pool of hopeful recipients and a smaller pool of available organs for transplant. Strict triage is necessary.

I agree with this.

Back