Music Which Crosses Many Genres

AstroKid

I don't like bands and artists who stick to one style, I've always prefered to stick a bit of everything in the pot and see what comes out. Check these examples.

http://stage.vitaminic.co.uk/main/vandal_sound_system/

The first track, Gospel takes in Chill-Out, Ska, Electro-Funk and features a jazz inspired guitar solo half way through.

KingSize starts in a heavy dub vibe before breaking out all free-form jazz in the middle.

But does this way of writng music work or is it a bit too much?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Why not? With so much music that's been produced now adays it's hard to sound original, so why not just go crazy. I like your mix of styles, but there's not enough organic sounds in it for my taste, everything sounds too programmed.

-Sal

Thanks for the input

I tried to make the horns sound as real as possible. They are basic patches from an XV5080 but slightly detuned (they all play the same melody) and with a bit of pitchbend and vibrato dragging them further 'out of tune'. I was quite pleased with the result.
There is also an analogue synth (Macbeth M3X) in Gospel but fairly back in the mix.
I would have put more guitar on them both, but I have a lot of trouble recording guitar. Just can't seem to get a good sound down. I need to buy a channel strip.

But thanks for taking the time to listen.

James.

Back