Music Video Question

Part 1
Video tape every performance……..get your friends , your mom your dentist etc to shoot the band at live gigs as much as possible. The great thing about this is two fold. First you get to see yourself perform, you become the audience. and trust me everyone hates seeing themselves on tape as much as hearing there voice on CD.
The key is to find and correct your weak spots. For many bands its lack of eye contact with the audience I have seen videos where 90% of the time every member of the group is looking everywhere but outward into the crowd. Next will be the dead time between songs or the bad tuning segments or guys who just want to bash drums and guitars just because they think its cool before the song begins. The list goes on .
The other great thing is you can take all these videos load them onto a computer and make a great promotional tape of the band using all the good shots . Mac has a simple program and Widows XP also has a quick movie build program available .Keep the parts moving fast max every three seconds either fade or cut to a new segment . Since the material is from possibly ten shows the chance of syncing music will be impossible so use your best recorded song and use that as the soundtrack to your now new promotional video .
Uses:
Entering Contests ( Band Wars)
Mailing to Conferences
Great for Local Promoters of Festivals
Good for on line promotion on your website
Great keepsake for your parents

I'm gewtting into video production myself...and hanging around indieclub.com alot...

I was lucky and my college (a community college) is started offering 1 video art course this quarter probably because the area universities are cancelling their video production/film programs :(

My goal is to do music videos and tour videos for bands and then just go nuts and do local history documentaries, etc.

I did a lot of internet research and found a local sony store to get my hands on nicer DV cameras ...and I chose a panasonic WV-F250 dockable SVHS camcorder off ebay mainly because of bang for buck...and it looks cool...which we all know is more important than actual performance when it comes to working with musicians :) heh the first time I took it to a show people wern't "nice camera" they were "which news crew are you with?" .... assumption of professionalism is handy :) ... and really I actually think it puts out a better picture than a VX2000 at 1/6th the cost ... it just has terrible low light performance... so I'm currwently looking for an inexpensive 100w camera light.

To get SVHS on PC I play the tape in a AG-7350 VCR into a 2 way analoge/firewire converter (DAC-100) ...no video capture cards to watch not work :)

The big thing with video cameras is currently the
http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/f_ag-dvx100.html
which comes with fire wire. The great thing about this is you can shoot film style at 24 fps. I have not yet used the camera but a friend of mine shot a documentary and was fairly impressed. It still does not have the depth and color textures of film but it looks much better than Beta SP / 8mm/ SVHS for shooting music videos.
http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/f_AJ-SDX900.html This guy on the other hand is getting very close. The nice thing about using these kind of cameras instead of film is that you can rewind and shoot again if what you have on you monitor will not suit. First off unless you have video assist on your film camera you don't get to see anything until the product is back from the lab and secondly the cost of film does add up with 1000 feet of 16mm lasting only 11 min.

If your an ebay person you might want to look at DPS Perception capture equipment it will not render transitions in real time but it is solid as a rock and easy to use. Whenever I need to edit I work at this studio that uses DPS Velocity which is amazing and easy to use. Captures at 7 meg a second without breaking a sweat.

Good luck with your new gig.........PS get yourself some tour laminates it will sometimes help get past some wanna be cop security guy

Back