Music notation question

grinder

What does a small circle above a note mean? The accent in question is in a guitar piece, although I don't know if it's specific to guitar. Thanks, Grinder

A dot or a circle? A dot is staccato; a circle in a piece written for classical guitar would indicate an open string. Are there position markings (roman numerals)? That's a pretty sure sign of a piece written for guitar (or violin, heh).

mshilarious said:
A dot or a circle? A dot is staccato; a circle in a piece written for classical guitar would indicate an open string. Are there position markings (roman numerals)? That's a pretty sure sign of a piece written for guitar (or violin, heh).

Yeah, it has a classical feel and the circles are over open string notes, but only occationally, must be what means though. Thanks for the help, Grinder

Is it to play a harmonic (the lightly putting your finger on the string kind)? I was playin' with a violinist and we wrote something where he played a false (?) harmonic up high somewhere, and I had no idea how to write it - he said to put a little circle over the note. That could be completely wrong, but it may be a possibility.

Is it a diamond? False Harmonics

I always thought that it was a harmonic when you touch the string lightly (say at the 12th fret) and it was a false harmonic when you turn you pick and produce one like that. (that thing that Zak Wilde can't seem to stop doing)
Now if those do have different names, then what do you call it when you fret a note, then tap the string 12 frets up (for example) to get that kind of harmonic?

Farview said:
I always thought that it was a harmonic when you touch the string lightly (say at the 12th fret) and it was a false harmonic when you turn you pick and produce one like that. (that thing that Zak Wilde can't seem to stop doing)
Now if those do have different names, then what do you call it when you fret a note, then tap the string 12 frets up (for example) to get that kind of harmonic?

I think a false harmonic is the latter, and the Zak Wilde thing is called a pinch harmonic. Or maybe they are the same, who knows?

As far as notation, for guitar the harm tag is used along with the fretted & sounded note.

Back