multitracking audio?

ujamaa7

I'm trying to fig out the best way to track out my songs that i have prerecorded on motif...What i mean by track is...Adding eq and effects to each track individualy...My question is, if i was to track out in audio instead of midi would i have to record each track into the software one by one or is there a way i can press play on my motif and all the tracks will show up on the software? Whats the best way to accomplish what i'm trying to do?

All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully I'm understanding this correctly...

Sounds like what you need to do, if you want to add EQ (etc.) on each individual track, is that you would have to record each one seperately to your software. If you did the entire mix from the motif, you will probably end up with one stereo track of the mix in your software.

Hope that helps a little.

You could record them all at once using ADAT or using all your analog outputs. I dont think there is any way to dump everything at once though

I think you CAN actually do that.
I suppose your songs are recorded and saved on your Motif as MIDI files.
You should be able to export MIDI file to your computer and import it to Cubase.
Right click on your midi file in Cubase\MIDI\ Dissolve Part to separate all instruments to different tracks.
Now you’re able to edit each of them separately, add effects, pan, you name it.
If you want to work with audio files then you have to export each instrument as WAV one by one
(Use SOLO function to mute rest of the tracks)
(There are better edit possibilities for MIDI files. You can even change instruments by using VST instruments)
I use midi for my synths and piano and when I am finished editing I export those as WAVs and mix them in A Audition 2,0 together with my guitars, vocals etc.

I am not sure how did motif record your drum track but usually there is possibility to separate drums elements and edit them separately as well.

I haven't used a motif in sometime, but if I remember correctly it has a main output and an assignable output, and there is an option to add a digital output. You should be able to send out two stereo audio tracks at a time, and possibly three. They would have to be recorded in real time, of course, and you would need a suitable audio interface hooked up to your computer. From what you have written, I assume you don't want to transfer just the midi files, as want to take advantage of the motif's sound generator. You will have to midi sync everything so that your tracks line up. Use your DAW as the master and the motif as the slave.

If you are relying on the motif's USB connection, I think you can only export the midi. You would have to use a soft synth to generate the sound.

Cheers,

Joe.

Back