Multitrack Recording Issue: Track 1 recording into Track 2

kevin002

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and I hope that one of you will be kind enough to rid me of my misery with the above. I have looked through the sticky thread posted at the top of this forum, but am still out of luck..

Facts:
-Dell XPS 15 Laptop running Windows 7 w/ Realtek HD sound card (Waves MaxxAudio)
-Adobe Audition 3.0
- Line in enabled for recording
- Stereo Mix and Mic have been disabled through Control Panel -> Sound etc.
- Device Properties (Audition): Line-in under both Edit View & Multi-track view
- Monitoring/listening through headphones

Issue:
In the Multitrack view, I'm able to record the first track with no issues (as expected).
Once I arm the second track, and hit record, it records the first track, along with the second track. I have absolutely no idea why it is recording the "stereo mix" when it has been disabled.

At the moment, my only work around is to reduce the main speaker volume, and bump up the volume of track 1 on audition (just so that I can barely hear it through headphones) and then record track 2. Even then, there is a slight bleed of track 1 into track 2.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Another observation is that when I record without Line-in (i.e. just using the laptop mic and my acoustic), with Mic set as the primary recording input device (everything else disabled), there are no issues at all, but this doesn't help for a recording that involves multiple instruments.

Please help! :)

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood the question the first time.

How are "Wave In" and "Wave Out" set up in your Device Properties?

Last edited:
EDIT: Sorry, I misunderstood the question the first time.

How are "Wave In" and "Wave Out" set up in your Device Properties?

Wave in : Line in ; also listed as the first and only device in "Multitrack Device Preference Order"
Wave Out: Speakers (Realtek High Definition)

I have heard that to be an inherent quality (or lack there of) of built in sound cards. Hopefully someone else has an idea, but if you are looking for quality, you will need to move to a separate interface.

I have heard that to be an inherent quality (or lack there of) of built in sound cards. Hopefully someone else has an idea, but if you are looking for quality, you will need to move to a separate interface.

thanks for the feedback Jimmy. What do you mean by a separate interface? Like an external soundcard or something ?

I'm willing to do anything at this point, to resolve this problem!

re:

Thanks CC.NYC and Jimmy for all your help and advice!

Got great news!!! Decided to upgrade to CS5.5 and I'm able to now record with no issues at all. Multitrack works fine! I still have no idea why it didn't work with the older version, but the upgrade worked like a miracle!

Thanks again guys!

cheers,
kev

Back