Multitrack recorder

vonRikkor

I am looking to get a multitrack recorder because I have a latency problem with computer recording. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced MTR? I want it to be fairly easy to use, also. Thanks!

Analogue or digital?

If digital, although I've not used one, I've heard the Korg D888 is very good. It certainly has good features, especially lots of inputs/outputs and physical controls.

How many tracks do you need? Big difference between a small 4 track portable and a big rack mount unit with 24+ tracks.

I used a Zoom R24 for years to do stand alone multitrack recording (it can also be a USB interface). It worked very well and was easy to use--8-inputs at once with 3 banks for a total of 24 tracks per song (not including alternate 'takes' you can switch to).

If you don't need the drum machine/sampler section and can do with less tracks you could get an R16 instead (probably pretty cheap these days used).

If you think you need 8 tracks now.......you'll probably need more than that not far down the road. As previously advised......the Zoom R16 or R24 would likely be a good fit and work well for you for some time to come. And as also pointed out......the R16 is selling really cheap everywhere.....new or used. On the other hand.......if you go even further down the home recording path......you're likely to end up right back looking at DAW's. Most do it seems. Sounds like you're just frustrated. Are you sure you can't resolve your latency issues with your current set up?

Back