multiple tracks?

pinkieandtherev

OK...so I've had my Yamaha MW12 (with Cubase LE) for awhile. Until now, i've only recorded one or two tracks at a time tops. My old system downstairs (1.2 Ghz, 256 MB RAM, USB 1.1) only shows 2 inputs (USB Audio Codec 1 and 2). Yes, I know, that old system is pitifully slow and underpowered, but for most of what I'm doing, recording two tracks tops at a time, and turning off extraneous tracks while recording new ones, it handles OK.

The Yamaha has 6 XLR inputs. I'd like to be able to mic up the entire drum kit and individually track everything. If I take the time to setup my more powerful system (3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, USB 2.0), will Cubase LE allow me to record 6 tracks at once instead of only two? I can't seem to find a straight answer...can I DO that with this mixer, or am I limited to the stereo mixdown?

That mixer will only send a 2-channel stereo mix to the computer.

If you are wanting a multiple-channel interface, here's a good guide and tested suggestions: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Thanks Tim...this is exactly what i needed to know before I spent the time lugging everything downstairs. SOOO...what I really have is a 12-channel (6-XLR) mixer that will output its stereo mix out to the computer via USB. 'Tis OK...I guess that just means I have to get it right BEFORE i record it...no "fixing it in post." :D

That's true. But one of his questions was can Cubase LE record 6 tracks. I figured he would like to know that it could. :)

Back