Multiple Soundcards In Cakewalk

Majonna GOTW

I have been using Guitracks 1, and have Pro 5 (which I haven't been using). I record 2-trks at the same time selecting right and left for the source. I have heard about using multiple sound cards to record more tracks at the same time. Cakewalk support says this is possible, but that is pretty much all they say other than saying buying a $700 Aardvark or Echo is better (which is not gonna happen right now). Has anyone out there done this and how'd it work for you ??? How does it tell one card from the other if they are the same brand ?? And any other info you can give me. Thanks !!

it may not work becuz i don't think Cheap sndcards support multiple snd card usage so one will conflict wit the other

Hey there.

>> How does it tell one card from the other if they are
>> the same brand ??

I have not tried simultaneously recording more than a stereo channel at once, but I can tell you this...

If you were to have two soundcards installed, each one is given a separate "address" in the computer. As long as windows recognizes them both, Cakewalk will too, as separate cards. You should be able to use both.

I have a SBLive Value installed and a Gina Card, and I can use them both at the same time...but I haven't tried recording from them together. And since you want to know if two consumer cards can record together, I can't tell you for sure.

Anyone else running to card and recording in both at the same time?

-L

More about this... some sound cards cannot work if you put in two of the same kind. For example, if you stick in 2 SB Lives, the computer cannot tell them apart because the drivers are not felxible enough. However, in this case there is an option, which is to use the APS drivers. The SB Live and the Emu Audio Production Studio cards are essentially the same, and with a little flummery you can have one card run these drivers, and the other run the regular Live drivers.

But different cards from different manufacturers can often be coaxed to work.

Another issue is that they will all have their own internal clock signals and they are likely to be a little bit off, so synchronization when recording from both simultaneously may be imperfect.

I have three, A magic sound PCI, a GL 496, and a Delta 1010. I can record wit the Delta and the GL at once, don't know about all three, i mean why would I record with the Magic sound? :D I have however used the GL and the MS together with no real timing problems. There is a small amout of delay between the cards, but not all that noticeable.

let us know how it work out.

-jhe

Back