Multiple sound cards

haburton

I would like to put two sound cards in my PC to record 4-channels simultaneously. I record to 4-channel tape on a Tascam 414 and would like to do my mixing on my PC. Does anyone know of a pice of software, preferrable freeware or shareware, that will address two sound cards as four channels simultaneously? Once it's in my PC I can edit multiple tracks but my sound program, Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro, doesn't allow two sound cards.

Thanks

I know that in Vegas I can choose either my Audiophile or my SB Live at the track level. Vegas isn't cheap though.

Are you looking for info on how to get two soundcards working in the computer at once? Or do you have that working, and you're looking for info on how to get software to recognize it?

Later,
Bill

haburton said:
I would like to put two sound cards in my PC to record 4-channels simultaneously. I record to 4-channel tape on a Tascam 414 and would like to do my mixing on my PC. Does anyone know of a pice of software, preferrable freeware or shareware, that will address two sound cards as four channels simultaneously? Once it's in my PC I can edit multiple tracks but my sound program, Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro, doesn't allow two sound cards.

Thanks

In order to do that you would need the clocks on the 2 cards to sync up together. If you are using 2 completely different cards from different manufacturers, that will be pretty much impossible.

Multiple M-Audio cards (Audiophile, Delta...) can be linked together.

clarification

I'm sorry, I am trying to do it all. I have two turtle beach Santa Cruz cards, or more truthfully I have one and am buying a second if there's any hope this will work. They will both be the same card, but I've not installed two in a computer before. Lots of experience of multiples of other cards, network, etc., but not sound cards.

Basically what I want to do is copy the 4-tracks from my Tascam 414 into the computer and not have to mix until it's in the computer. I'm not good at mixing real-time.

Thanks for the help folks.

As far as I know, only the pro-level cards drivers are smart enough to figure out there are multiple cards installed in a PC. Sound Blaster cards are not capable of doing this and I am willing to bet Turtle Beach cards can't do it either.

Most audio card manufacturers will tell you if this is possible in the specs posted on their website. I know for a fact M-Audio and Aardvark cards can work that way.

I agree with the guys who say you will have timing problems with 2 cards, even if they are the same type. The tracks will creep apart in timing. I had a DMAN 2044, it's a pretty nice card and just right for what you want to do. Cool edit 2000 has an upgrade 4 channel mutitracking. Probably one of the better deals I know of if you are just doing 4 tracks. Check it out at www.syntrillium.com

fbrgls said:
I agree with the guys who say you will have timing problems with 2 cards, even if they are the same type. The tracks will creep apart in timing. I had a DMAN 2044, it's a pretty nice card and just right for what you want to do. Cool edit 2000 has an upgrade 4 channel mutitracking. Probably one of the better deals I know of if you are just doing 4 tracks. Check it out at www.syntrillium.com

damn... I wish they would have had that available when I built my first home DAW about 5 years ago. I tried running two instances of the old Cool Edit (pre CEP) and 2 piece of poop ISA audio cards of different brands. The results were disastorous. :p

Back