multiple signal path to external fx plugin

bdemenil

Lets say I want to send signal to a reverb along two different pathways. 1 direct, and the 2nd passing first through an EQ. Before, I would have set up 2 fx channels - both outputing to the reverb. On the 2nd channel I'd put the reverb as an insert.

Now i'm using Cubase's external fx VST connections to create an external plugin for the reverb. unfortunately i can only use 1 instance of this plugin. So how can I route signal to it two different ways now?

One solution I can think of is this:

Setup your FX channel with the external reverb as usual.

Send the audio track to it... that's your non-EQ'd version.

Create a group channel, send the audio track to the group channel, and send the group channel to the FX channel.

Dun.

whoops - sorry, my unedited response came in before I saw your answer.

I thought about this, but what about the group's main outs. I can't assign main outs to an fx channel, so what do I do so that the group's main outs don't feed into my mix?

Ok, I found a solution for the group method. I created a stereo output that routes to nothing in vst connections. I made this new output the main output for the group. So the only audio coming out of the group is going out the sends.

Actually, you don't need to assign the group's output to another Stereo BUS. On the Sends pane click the middle button, this will make the send pre-fade. Now you can turn the Group's main fader down if you don't want to hear the dry signal, and adjust its level using the sends fader.

Back