multiple preamps...

HungPhat

just a general enquiry

if i plug a mic into a tube-preamp and then to the the soundcards digital preamp...would that sound like shit?
to record say guitars/vocals...drums even.

this should prob go in the newbies section...oh well

Two pres together won't necessarily give you a nasty sound but it's a complete waste of time (unless you need LOADS of gain?)

The sound quality will only be as good as the weakest link so by putting a good pre in the same chain as a crappy pre you won't be improving the sound of the crappy pre at all.

And of course you're adding more circuitry to the chain as well which will degrade the audio also.

Do you not have line level inputs on your soundcard?

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
Two pres together won't necessarily give you a nasty sound but it's a complete waste of time (unless you need LOADS of gain?)

The sound quality will only be as good as the weakest link so by putting a good pre in the same chain as a crappy pre you won't be improving the sound of the crappy pre at all.

And of course you're adding more circuitry to the chain as well which will degrade the audio also.

Do you not have line level inputs on your soundcard?

i havent got anything at momment...still deciding on what soundcard to buy...
(i was going for a tascam 1804 or motu 828...but now i think i may just need a presonus firebox)its really doing my head in...as i need to buy that first before i build a computer.

just wondering about the preamp as my friends is practically giving away a tube preamp(behringer vintager preamp 2 channel t1953)

as the firebox has 2 preamp inputs ... i was hoping to use the behringer for the rear 2 unbalanced inputs...but was wondering if it could use tube preamp thru front xlr/trs inputs.

cheers for the reply

You can, but it will not help you. The preamps in the firebox are (far) better than the behringer pres. You could use the behringer pres for the unbalanced inputs on the firebox to get 4 mic inputs, but using them together with the firebox preamps has not possitive effect.

Back