Multiple MIDI controllers for mutliple external MIDI devices (?)

mminarik

Hello, I am setting up a home studio with Cubase 7 and 4 different external MIDI sound modules. Each module is indeed multitimbral set by default to receive MIDI IN on channels 1-16 to play parts 1-16. Very soon I realized that in order to prevent overlap I have to set individual MIDI IN channels for individual parts on different modules, disable others ... a very laborious task given the different systems settings etc.

So my question is: Is there anything wrong with a concept to have 4 different USB MIDI controllers to allow individual duplex setup for each module hence not worrying about overlapping MIDI channels ?

Many thanks!

What you need is 4 seperate MIDI output ports from your computer. Best would probably be a single device with at least a couple of inputs and the four outs in the same box, but you can definitely get away with four different single port boxes, and it would probably be cheaper.

You'd then have to set up Cubase to use all of those outputs, and use its track settings to route from whatever controllers you've got connected to whatever sound modules you've got.

Back in the old Atari Days (did I say old, I still have it set up LOL) I had an external midi box connected via a port that separated the 16 channels into and A16, B16, C16, D16, with A, B, C & D connected to different modules, so that you just selected which device you wanted to send the 16 channels to.

Moving into the 21st century lOL, would something like an MOTU micro lite do what you want.

Alan

Why do you want all your modules to receive all 16 midi channels; instead of setting each to recieve a specific channel?!

I use a Kenton 5-Thru in my own rig...

Maschine (my sequencer) midi out > 5-Thru (in) > 5-Thru (thru) > Korg ER-1 in (midi ch10)

5-Thru > BassStationII in (midi ch4)

I've got a Circuit as well - sometimes I'll sync to clock and use its sequencer - sometimes I'll sequence it's 2 synths from Maschine on midi ch's 1&2 respectively

4 Different midi modules will work fine. An all in one with multiple channels will work fine.

At any given time I have 5-7 midi controllers hooked up to my system, I don't have any modules though but the idea is the same.

If I were you since you are using cubase (full version I hope) I would setup all of your modules as midi instruments inside the VST connections panel. Seems like an easier way to go rather than route everything every time.

Great! For some reason it seems simpler to me to use multiple rather than a single device. Many thanks to all !

Back