Multiple Input Sources:Sync

5150 Musician

I'm replacing a Behringer "24 channel" - yeah, TECHNICALLY 24 channels- mixer for a Mackie 1604vls 16 channel mixer (with 16xlr inputs). The pres in my Behringer are pretty thin sounding. I also found out that there is a terrible latency to the components that are involved in the board, preventing me from being able to record the things plugged into the Behringer simultaniously with anything extra that is bypassing the board. Even when just using the direct outs; there is sad, sad latency. I'm willing to safely say it's around 150 - 300ms in delay. When using my 2 channel tube mic preamp (trialing with 2 microphones), there is no latency between the two, at all. I'd have to say that a good mixer is something that is a must-have in a decent home recording studio. If external hardware is not in snyc with one another, chances are the circuitry in your equipment is what is causing it. I've found that if I mix good and not so good quality input sources together, I always run into some sort of sync problem.

I'd be interested in hearing about the rest of your set-up. Though I'm glad you are getting a new mixer, I have a hard time believing 150ms of latency in an analog board, much less 300ms. I have never found any latency, really, in an analog board, no matter how cheap.
Lower quality components sound worse, but don't slow down electricity.

Last edited:
Back