multiple headphones

deejuks2

My Behringer board only has 1 headphone jack. What do i need to do to have multiple headphones (me, drummer, bassist) going at one time - WITHOUT affecting sound quality (or volume) in the phones? also, what would be the best way to extent the line so it can reach all the way to my drum kit (25' away from the control area) ? thanks in advance!

Just get a Behri headphone distro. ..... and for length added to your headphones go to radio shack for a headphone extension cord and possibly an adapter if need be.

Weird... I was just looking at one of those in a music shop... ART something something $119, which I thought was a bit much for what it did, but everything's expensive here..

Headphone preamp is what you're after. It basically takes a single line input and outputs multiple headphones each with their own volume knobs. Some have a master knob for all headphones, some don't. Other features like mute and mono depending on which and what.

Presonus HP4 is what I use most of the time. I have a samson Q5 as well. There are headphone extension cables out there. Or just put the headphone preamp near the musicians and run a long TRS to TRS cable. (if that unit has those outputs). Otherwise various RCA cable plus adapters and 1/8" Y cable and other funk to get there from here. Perhaps put the headphone preamp on a stool to give better reach without extension cables. Depending on live or studio session. There's always wireless headphones too. Depending on how cheap / hassle free you want to be.

+1 on the Headphone amp.

Also, if you're using a snake box for the drum mics, you can use adaptors to send headphone on either a mic channel or a return, then use adaptors to get the signal to your headphones.

If it has 1/4" TRS on the box and the fanout then it's even easier.

I've done this many a time. :D

If you are looking for a cheaper option than a full phone amp, Radio Shack sells a really neat little 1 to 3 headphone amplifier that is really cheap. I can't remember what it cost but it wasn't much. I originally got so my kids could both hear the mobile DVD player thing on long car trips. We started with a wye adapter, but that didn't work so well. (I've since figured out that if both are using exactly the same headphones (or better yet earbuds) a wye does work, but if they're different, one will tend to suck up more of the signal leaving one too loud and one too quiet.). Anyway, it works great, powered by a couple of double A batteries, so I don't know whether it will power big driver headphones or not, but for earbuds or the kind of middle of the road headphones I normally use, it works great. My kids have been out of the Disney movies in the backseat stage for years nown but I've used this little gizmo for exactly what you're asking about many many times. It doesn't have individual volume controls, so if you want that, you'd either need to go with the proper headphone amp or (my preferref option) earbuds with the little L-pad type volume controls build right into the cord.

Good luck.

J

PS - A little more eshpensy than it used to be, but still a pretty cheap solution... Here's a link to the aforementioned splitter amp...

Boostaroo 3-Channel Headphone Audio Amplifier and Splitter : Headphones | RadioShack.com

PPS - as for headphone extension cords, buy the cheapest you can find (aka Radio Shack) and then exercise a teeny bit of care not to yank on 'em to hard, or drop a cybal on hem, etc. I defy anybody to hear he diference between a cheap, cheap 25' extension and some pricy cable, especially while tracking.

J

The difference is mainly how snugly the connectors fit IMO. The cheap cheap ones have them literally JUMPING out of the devices running for freedom. But I tend to just buy a bunch of 6' ones and link them as needed. Be sure to have tape (electric / vinyl) handy to keep things from having a mind of their own IMO, if you go that route.

Headphone preamps are cheap. The HP4 can be pricey and things like the bithead / airhead can also be up there. But the Q5 is like $50-ish new and delivered. It's near impossible to sell a used one, as most people who know that they need it, just opt for the to the door step new one. I'm gonna have to bundle it with something me thinks. Like I did with that Art Tube MP.

Back