multiple hard drive question

cranberry71

ok all, i am trying to install a second hard drive strictly for music.software files etc. i have win 95 on my first drive, so i am assuming that i will need to load it on to the second drive as well. i also am upgrading my soundcard, but am wondering will i need to install drivers on both drives, or just one, and which one if only one. thanks for any help.

Hi,

Well, you don't have to install Win95 (or drivers or anything) on the second drive. Just set your new drive to master and connect it to the secondary IDE controller on your motherboard, FDISK and FORMAT it. Put your CD-ROM slaved with the drive with Win95 on it.

When you install software, just install it to your old drive.

An alternate method, which I've been using with some success, is to make your main drive a dual boot drive. So, in effect you have two operating systems on one drive. This allows you to install only your recording software into one OS, and use the other OS for games internet etc..
This is the program I used, it's free.
http://www.alberts.com/authorpages/00013305/prod_115.htm

This will delete everything on all drives, so backup.

If you want the details, email me, to lengthy to get into here.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 08-21-1999).]

thanks emeric. but i must say, you have left me slightly more confused.LOL. what IS your email cause i dont quite understand what you mean.

mike

cranberry ,

click the lil " send mail " icon parallel to emerics name...that will give you a link to e mail him directly ....

and i have a question regarding hard drives... why would you make your second drive master and not slave ?

thanks...
- eddie -

my guestion here is why have two hard drives, when you can get cdrs at a buck a piece, and a 4x8 burner for $150?

Couple reasons Nero:

1. Hard disk recording takes a lot of hard drive space, if you want to work on multiple projects, you need to have these on a Hard Drive. CDRW is great for archiving and backup, but not fast enough for the multitrack recording process.

2. It's good to have all your audio data on a seperate drive. I find it easier to organize, and safer than having it on your OS drive. As well, windows tends not to interupt the other hard drive with any background processes.

Emeric

emeric, have you actually had problems with windows interupting your hard drive? is this not a problem that can be resolved by getting more ram and keeping background programs to a minimum?

what kind of drive are you using to store music?

thanks

Hi nero,

Well, I prefer to avoid problems before they happen. Memory certainly helps, but optimizing your system to the max is my procedure. I use a Quantum KA 7200RPM for audio data.

Emeric

Back