Multiple Behringer BCF/BCRs

lexridge

I currently own a BCF2000, and frankly I would like much more, at a decent price. Before purchasing the BCF, I was actually going full steam ahead on building my own MIDI mixer using the MIDI Box Project ( http://www.ucapps.de/ ), then, an idea struck me:

I think it's possible to combine two BCFs and two BCRs into a single console. I would have to disassemble all four of them, carefully remove all circuit boards and remount them into a newly carefully machined console.

It would have a built-in USB hub, and single combined power supply unit, for simplicity sake. I would run a single USB connector the back of the unit, and extend the twelve MIDI jacks to the back as well.

Questions:
1. How well would this many units work together.
2. Could a single preset on one unit automatically set up the others,
3. if not, could the (buggy) software handle this?
4. Would anyone like to colaborate on this project?

Last edited:
chizzy said:
hmmm, as much of a fan as I am of DIY and modding, it hardly seems worth the trouble. For the money, you could just about get this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Hardware?sku=240703

It's got faders & knobs and more.... I have a BCF & it's ok, but I dunno if it would hold up to modding, seems kinda chincy in ways. Good luck, tho if you do it, I'd love to see it. :)

Thanks for your comments.

The Tascam is nice, pricey and it only has 8 faders and 16 knobs. My final result would be 16 faders and 40 knobs. Just seems it would be more usable. I should have about $800 in the final rig.

I have two linked BCF2000's and they worked brilliantly... infact I was thinking about getting a third.

I also came up with this idea, but im not a DIY man in any respect so I couldnt be bothered to deal with it... If you are using Logic or Cubase the setup should be fairly simple... if you use Sonar, its also simple but it seems im the only person with a brain in this world as their have been tens of programs to make these work, and loads of theory's on how to do it... when really its simple and people dont just use their brain... so let me know if you are using Sonar and I can run you through it.

Word of advice:

I wouldnt rip all of the mixers apart, do what I have done... Take off the side panels and then put the mixer's end to end... it looks great! If you want a picture I can take one, just let me know!

lexridge said:
I should have about $800 in the final rig.
The going rate on the Tascam US2400 on ebay is 600ish new (possibly refurb but with full warranty), cheaper if you can score a used one. Not only do you have way more transport control, the faders are touch sensitive. You can find auctions like these all day:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-US2400-D...ryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-US-2400-...ryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The FW1884 would get you extra inputs/outputs in addition to the faders.

technominds said:
I have two linked BCF2000's and they worked brilliantly... infact I was thinking about getting a third.

Cool! Please let me know how the third one works.

If you are using Logic or Cubase the setup should be fairly simple... if you use Sonar, its also simple but it seems im the only person with a brain in this world as their have been tens of programs to make these work, and loads of theory's on how to do it... when really its simple and people dont just use their brain... so let me know if you are using Sonar and I can run you through it.

I am currently using Cubase LE, which came with a Prosonus I recently sold. I kept the software however. I have the BCF working great with it. I can't wait to get another. I'm just trying to decide whether to get another BCF or the BCR.

I wouldnt rip all of the mixers apart, do what I have done... Take off the side panels and then put the mixer's end to end... it looks great! If you want a picture I can take one, just let me know!

I would indeed like to see a pic. :)

....and thanks for your input.

reshp1 said:
The going rate on the Tascam US2400 on ebay is 600ish new (possibly refurb but with full warranty), cheaper if you can score a used one. Not only do you have way more transport control, the faders are touch sensitive. You can find auctions like these all day:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-US2400-D...ryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-US-2400-...ryZ41784QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The FW1884 would get you extra inputs/outputs in addition to the faders.

Well that's pretty darn cheap! Especially for brand spanking new! Difference is, I can purchase one BCF/BCR every few months, but this would be one lump sum. Definetly worth considering, however. Thanks for the info!

How can they be sold that cheap?
They are around AUD$3000 in Australia (doing a quick search around).
Even taking into account the exchange rate, and the extra I'd need to pay for insured freight, they are incredibly cheap.

gManiaxe said:
How can they be sold that cheap?
They are around AUD$3000 in Australia (doing a quick search around).
Even taking into account the exchange rate, and the extra I'd need to pay for insured freight, they are incredibly cheap.

I don't know how they can afford to sell 200 bucks below most online retailers. There's a couple people selling them and both have very good feedback. I've heard rumors Tascam has lowered the price on them, so maybe these guys are selling at the new price point while other retailers are pocketing the difference. I dunno, I'm still a little torn between a Mackie Control Universal and a US2400, but this price is pretty damn hard to beat for 24 faders.

I asked how much insured freight to Australia would be, and the prompt reply
was $130. Unbelievable.

Are all the faders motorized?

gManiaxe said:
I asked how much insured freight to Australia would be, and the prompt reply
was $130. Unbelievable.

Are all the faders motorized?

I'm pretty sure the US2400 has motorized AND touch sensitive faders. I'm not sure why the description (taken from the tascam site) says "moving" faders for the channels strips and the normal "motorized" faders for the master fader. The manual says "motorized" for both.

Back