MultiFX recommendations for recording?

a12stringer

My DOD AcousticOne just went belly up today. Any recommendations for MultiFX unit suitable for stage and recording? Any warnings of units to avoid? What I am concerned with mainly is reducing the brittle "quack" when using a piezo transducer in my guitar. To phrase it another way, I really am wanting something to warm the tone.

try other forum

you might want to try posting this question somewhere other than the FOSTEX forum, maybe the rack. about fx

guitar

guitar tones are very personal, what works for one is not right for the next, i like to use a lot of computer effects and record dry, but if you cant, try borrowing a bunch of stomp pedels from your friends and try to find the sound your looking for befor you buy effects (just a thought to try)

radiorickm,
I realize that this is the Fostex forum, but my primary purpose is to track to my VF-80. So I thought I would ask my companions here first and see what they're using before venturing into the FX forum.

guitar fx

I've been using a Boss ME 33 that works very well with recording.Direct in,sounds like a stack of amps. Low noise. Has presets and user patches. Also pedals on board can be converted to seperate stomp boxes for live use. Has harmonizer also that I use for backup vocals on my recordings. Can be used as an outboard fx unit. No midi, though they make one with it. Under $300.00. Cheap considering if you bought all the fx it has seperately.Have had mine for 3 years.I'm sure they have a new model out by now.With Guitar Centers 30 day return. I'd test a couple out. No risk. Good luck Pj

This may not be the right forum, but it's certainly where the smart people are hanging out... :)

I use an LR Baggs "Para Acoustic DI" for the soundhole pickup in my acoustic & it sounds good...and an old ART SGX 2000 multifx unit for electric. It has good points & bad points, but overall it's a great unit. Unfortunately it's been out of production for a few years.

My whole point of respondint is that I was intrigued by your GK Chesterson quote (never heard of him) & found a whole website of his quotes.

http://www.chesterton.org

Interesting.

an interesting thought on effects during recording: The room or whatever you record in can't be overlooked if you're using mics (not recording direct line in). Rumor has it that MY MORNING JACKET recorded their last album in a grain bin to get the vintage echo sound.If anyone who knows/plays in this band is on this forum i'd be interested to have that rumor confirmed. I've recorded acoustic stuff in closets/bathrooms/ my grandparent's tornado shelter/ etc. and always gotten really interesting results.

I've personally been interested in the possibility of recording in a monolithic dome. The fact that there are no perpendicular or parallel surfaces should produce some acoustically interesting results since there would be few if any standing waves causing phasing problems.

Back