Multiband compressor

grinder

I have a problem with my bass, in that when I play a little harder, the low end becomes overwhelming, especially on the B and E strings. The problem is mostly caused by my inconsistant and uncontrolled playing technique, mainly during fast passages. I'm working on my technique, but was also thinking that I could my multiband might help control the problem. I'm also trying to learn how to use my multiband, so I'm trying to kill to birds with one stone. So tell me if I'm miss understanding how it works. I was thinking use the low shelf on the multiband, set with a negative gain make up, at a frequency, maybe around 125hz. I would set the threshold, so it kicks in just on problem notes. Am I on the right track here? Again, I realize that learning to play properly, is the best solution, but until then, am I thinking correctly?

Thanks, Grinder

You could also dial out some of the low end with eq in addition to using compression.
You do not necessarily need a mulitband for what you are trying to do, but good thinking. :) Go for it. Be prepared to adjust the crossover frequency until you get it right.

If I use eq, it effects all the notes, not just the problem notes and I lose all my bottom end.

Thanks, Grinder

Multiband compression will only "suck tone."

Work on your technique instead. Possibly experiment with having your bass setup in a way that your B and E strings are closer to the fretboard/pickups and therefor produce a bit less volume.

And stop manhandling your bass... it sounds horrible when people do that. Play with authority, but not so hard to cause the strings to warble inconsistently in and out of tune.

Cloneboy Studio said:
Multiband compression will only "suck tone."

Work on your technique instead. Possibly experiment with having your bass setup in a way that your B and E strings are closer to the fretboard/pickups and therefor produce a bit less volume.

And stop manhandling your bass... it sounds horrible when people do that. Play with authority, but not so hard to cause the strings to warble inconsistently in and out of tune.

Please re-read my original post.

i understand what you are saying grinder, but you're going to have a problem. if you set the multi-band compressor threshold high with a heavy compresion ratio so that it will take care of just those moments when you go overboard on the low notes, then you won't be getting any compression on the bass as a whole unless you follow a normal compressor with the multi-band.

have you tried using a normal compressor and lowering the threshold and using a slighly lower ratio also? if you do it right, you'll have more compression :confused: (no let me say) reduction on those really dynamic parts without it being too obvious. you'll start to compress sooner to smooth out your dynamics without crushing your sound.

grinder said:
Please re-read my original post.

I did read it and you are right about improving your technique. However, the multiband compression is a bad idea in my way of thinking. You're better off to go with just straight ahead compression if you need it.

But if you have your bass *setup* to accomodate your playing habits it will sound a lot better than multiband compression ever will.

i'm with cloneboy on this one.. however.

just compress it for now. if your problem is low end.. which it is.. then a standard compressor should work fine. i doubt you need the multiband for a low frequency bass problem. i'm no expert but standard compression shouldn't bother your bass at all. why use a multiband unless you're worried about affecting the high end with the compression.. which shouldn't be a problem with a bass. see what i mean?

but then of course some time from now when you get your technique/setup down go back and retrack it :)

there are so many things you can do to make recordings better but i'm finding lately that the number one thing you can do is....
get a great sound going in.

if it sounds good as soon as you lay it on a track then you're off to a great step one. if it sounds bad then you can make it better with eq/compression but it will never be a pro sound unless you nail it from the start..

The main idea wasn't to use the multiband to make up for my bad playing. I thought it might give me a good opportunity to learn how to use my multiband in a real life situation, since I haven't played with it much and the song is just me fucking around. The bass was tracked with some compression, 4 or 5:1, I think. If my situation isn't one where a multiband would be required, I will learn to use it some place down the line. And yes, I know, track it right, don't fix it in the mix. Does multiband ever get used on single tracks or is it just for pumping up the volume during mastering? P.S. My bass is well set up and I'll try your compression idea, Crossfade.

Thanks, Grinder

Back