Multi track strategy need

grandpag123

Hi All,
I have a Tascam DP-05 on the way and am going to attempt to record a ukulele track, then download it to my PC, then record vocal and download that and combine via Audacity. I am not clear as to the best way to hear the uke track when recording the vocal. Can I listen to the instrument track on the DP-05 while I record the vocal on the DP-05 or will I need to listen via the PC?
Thanks in advance from a total newbie
Grandpa G

Thanks Mike. So I will need to listen to track 1 via pc (headphones) while recording track 2 then download and combine on the pc using Audacity?

Yes. Unless this is an occasional use (multitracking) you might want to return the Tascam for a beefier stand-alone or an audio interface and mic combo.

Yes. Unless this is an occasional use (multitracking) you might want to return the Tascam for a beefier stand-alone or an audio interface and mic combo.

Agreed, the DR-05 doesn't seem to be the right tool for the job.

I have the older version of this.. TASCAM DP-008EX | Sweetwater.com

It is a pretty good little multitracker, it has 2 XLR inputs with 48V phantom power in case you upgrade to a nicer condenser mic, it can be run on batteries, and it has stereo built in condenser mics, so with just a pair of headphones it can be totally portable.

Back