Multi pattern Condeser Mic

dazza91

I need a multi pattern mic for a recording project. Price is pretty much whatever is cheapest. Been looking at the Samson C03 or
beheringer B-2 pro. Anyone know what they are like or if there are any similar alternatives. I know they aren't going to be great
but i dont really need them to be, just be able to record at a reasonable level and not be too noisy.

Hi dazza,

Give these guys a ring and see if they have anything in your price range. They do sales over the phone and the postage is usually cheap. I have been to the store and meet them and bought some gear since, good service and good prices.

Alan.

I need a multi pattern mic for a recording project. Price is pretty much whatever is cheapest. Been looking at the Samson C03 or
beheringer B-2 pro. Anyone know what they are like or if there are any similar alternatives. I know they aren't going to be great
but i dont really need them to be, just be able to record at a reasonable level and not be too noisy.

Why do you need multi-pattern?

Will you actually use all the patterns?

Many people buy a switchable-pattern and leave it switched to cardioid all the time. In which case getting a cardioid LDC would be by far the best option as you will get much better quality and value-for-money as you will not be paying for something you will never use.

What is your budget?

The ones you mention are off the low end of the scale for me. But if you want a low cost mic. that will give good quality I would start by looking at the Sennheiser MK4 (which is exceptional value at that price) and also at mics by: Sontronics, sE, Violet, etc. and I would certainly look at cardioid only unless you really need to use all the patterns.

Why do you need multi-pattern?

Will you actually use all the patterns?

I did wonder about this too, sometimes it is better to buy a better single patten mic, hay dazza I think you know who I am, being a local give me a ring if you want to discuss (number in the street press),

Cheers

Alan.

PS don't ring this min as I am answering this while doing a radio show.

+1 (or is it +2 or +3?) to the above.

If it's for "a project" the other thing to consider is renting a GOOD mic or two when you need them rather than buying a mediocre cheap one that you'll never be entirely happy with.

I'd step in here but it looks like an OZ only thread. :D

There is a multitude of different microphones to choose from but there will only be a certain number that will do the job that you need done that will be to your satisfaction.

I some times go through a variety of microphones and still not quite pleased with the end result.

It's enough to give a guy a cardioid cardiac!

The project is for uni, I want to use two Omni mics as pair , then place the musos around the mics in the center and record it all live, hopefully with a nice acoustic space i should get some okay recordings, if i do the work to get everything balanced before hitting record.

So basically I want two mics capable of omni, that don't really have their own character (colour), that i can use in the above mentioned way. The recordings aren't meant to be some high end production, basically just an interesting investigation.

But I do use switchable patterns a bit like, two figure 8s to mic up guitar and vocals together, its a great way to cut down on spill, so they aren't going to be just some throw away thing. But at the same time i am looking at hiring some decent mics, not sure where to source them in perth though.

I'd step in here but it looks like an OZ only thread. :D

Yes, it looks a bit local :) however some of the brands that seem cheap in the US are not cheap here due to there not being a distributor in the country and some brands are not even available. Some brands are the same price or even cheaper due to fact that both countries import and the freight is the same. Even more so as the US$ and the OZ$ are almost the same now.

Alan.

Back