Multi-Effects On A Budget, Ideas?

mike2731

Looking for some experiences with some of the lower cost Multi-Effect units. Say $300 and under. I'm looking to udate some effects for my home studio. Will be using them mainly for Reverbs and Delays for vocal, guitar, and bass. I have chorus effects for my guitar (small clone), and really don't need it as much in the multi-effects unit, so if there is one with better Reverbs and Delays and worse Chorusing, I'd prefer them to vise-versa. Would really like to hear your opinions and experiences. Thanks!

Mike

I was in your position rather recently and ended up going with the TC Electronics M300. It's pretty no-nonsense, no bells and whistles multi-effects unit.

It's got some nice delays, phasers, flangers, tremolos, choruses, and a good collection of reverbs. All effects are alterable. The coolest thing is that it's a multi-engine that you can run in series or one-engine-per-channel. It can hold 99 of your settings to be recalled at anytime. It also contains a compresser and de-esser which aren't that great, but that's to be expected with a multi- unit. It also has S/PDIF coaxial in/out.

I hope this helps!

In that price range, I keep hearing about the TC Electronics unit and the unit made by Lexicon. Seems those two keep popping up.
Keep in mind Lexicon makes 'verb units in the 7-10 grand range (or at least they used to)

Guido,

Lexicon makes reverbs in the $15,000 dollar range, the 960L... a bit pricey but hey, it looks neat :) I'm a fan of the Ursa Major stuff in the over $1,000 range.

And to answer the question, both Lex and TC Elec. make great units in your price range, if you can check some out at a local store go for it, if not, check out some online stores and compare features to your needs.

Later,
musik

Thanks for the ideas. I have been looking at the TC and Lexicon units, but I've been wondering how good they are, since they are both high end manufacturers making a lower end product. I realize they won't sound as good as their high end stuff, but have been wondering if they were still better than the Alesis, Digitech, and others of the world. I am unfortunately stuck in an area with no real shops. There is a little shop here with a Gibson dealership, and it is a nice guitar shop for being so small, but when it comes to recording equipment and help, I'm SOL. I've been recording at home for almost 15 years now, but now, I'm just to the point where I want to add some nice, easy to use, don't have to spend hours figuring out how to get a sound I like, machines. Would like to hear still more opinions. Thanks a lot guys!

Mike

Whats up with digitec?

Everyone has their opinion.
I have the digitec 200 multi effects. it has alot of stuff includeing a d-esser, pitch shifter and other weird stuff I hadnt played with yet.

So whats up? does some of the other brands blow it away or something?

mike2731 said:
Thanks for the ideas. I have been looking at the TC and Lexicon units, but I've been wondering how good they are, since they are both high end manufacturers making a lower end product. I realize they won't sound as good as their high end stuff, but have been wondering if they were still better than the Alesis, Digitech, and others of the world. I am unfortunately stuck in an area with no real shops. There is a little shop here with a Gibson dealership, and it is a nice guitar shop for being so small, but when it comes to recording equipment and help, I'm SOL. I've been recording at home for almost 15 years now, but now, I'm just to the point where I want to add some nice, easy to use, don't have to spend hours figuring out how to get a sound I like, machines. Would like to hear still more opinions. Thanks a lot guys!

Mike

The lo end units are actually quite good and will sound better than most plug ins you buy. Overtime you can get a low end Lexicon and TC Electronics and have quite an array of sounds. Try and get one with the SPDIF connection and you can have a dedicated stereo channel for sending out vocals or instruments.

Erik713 said:
I was in your position rather recently and ended up going with the TC Electronics M300. It's pretty no-nonsense, no bells and whistles multi-effects unit.

It's got some nice delays, phasers, flangers, tremolos, choruses, and a good collection of reverbs. All effects are alterable. The coolest thing is that it's a multi-engine that you can run in series or one-engine-per-channel. It can hold 99 of your settings to be recalled at anytime. It also contains a compresser and de-esser which aren't that great, but that's to be expected with a multi- unit. It also has S/PDIF coaxial in/out.

I hope this helps!

What he said!

Q! What's up man, haven't seen you here or on RP much recently ... am I looking up the wrong threads (have been avoiding Behringer threads recently)?

Um, on-topic, er ... the M300 seems to be a good choice. Will that do?

noisedude said:
Q! What's up man, haven't seen you here or on RP much recently ... am I looking up the wrong threads (have been avoiding Behringer threads recently)?

Um, on-topic, er ... the M300 seems to be a good choice. Will that do?

Brutha', I was sick as a dooooog this past week the flu!! :(

Yeah man, the M300 is an EXCELLENT budget dsp! It's Verb's have wide and spacious parameters and a top-notch effect engine!

Well, since Q is here......Behringer Virtualizer 2024. Spend the money you save on a few tanks of gas. And you won't even hear the difference.

Controversial. A tank of petrol is £40 here, for that I could so much better put it towards a not Behringer product.

Back