multi channel recording

wildjack54

Hi Everyone! hope you all are ok, i like to ask some advise from more expert people than me about multi channel recording. What i would like to do is record 4 mics at same time onto 4 separate tracks using the latest magix music maker or sound forge 10 . or if it isnt possible with either of them please advise me a program which can fo the job for me. i got a m audio 44 sound card which is as far as i am aware it isnt suitable for what im trying to do or is it? i need a help on this too please? again if its not the right one for the job please tell me one name ,model etc which is the one. I dont mind if all the four channels are either mono or stereo. im using desktop pc with xp in case it matters. also a bit different question: im planning to buy a golden age passive ribbon mk2 mic with fethead preamp and i dlike to know if i still need to plug it into another preamp or fethead would give enough gain to the mic to plug it straight into the card? Thanks for all helps and suggestions Jack

I'm not sure about the two daw (digital audio workstations ) you mentioned are suitable since i have never used either. Having said that many here like and reccomend Reaper (free demo available) and ceap to buy the full version (not affilaited)
the m audio delta 44 should do the job you need to do, record 4 seperate mics but you will need external pre amps to get the mic signal up to a suitable level to record.
As for the ribbon microphone a fet head alone will not get you enough gain to record. Combined with a mic preamp it should be ok (ribbon mics typically need more gain than condensor mics and should not be subjected to phantom power.)
I would start recording with dynamic microphone or condensors before getting a ribbon.
I hope this helps.

Back