MulitMix 16 Setup Help

bair_ohio

Ok, heres what ive got..

Multimix 16-Firewire
Cubase SL3

Running Windows XP on Laptop

I use a PCI Firewire card.

Ok, after much screwing around I can get all channels working. My problem is everytime I turn it on I have to reset all the settings? It keeps looking for Digidesign soundcard which I do not have. I am also getting some popping in the sound. Ive noticed that if I set the buffer higher then this will go away. Is this just a buffer issue..any general or specific help here would be greatly appreciated.

What exact model is your Firewire card?

This isn't your problem but it is mine! I need a firewire card that is not rubbish.

It is a Dynex..im having a hell of a time getting this setup properly. As of right now, Im not very happy. Spending 600 bucks on this and not getting it to work properly with my computer. I even went as far as buying Cubase SL3 since my older version of cubase does not work on an XP machine. So right now im feeling a bit burnt but we'll see. Ive had it running ok on occasion but I cannot achieve any stability..

:D Not to fear freind, I had all the same problems and more setting mine up but its now working well and stable.

Please refer to this thread for just about any questions you have. I was among the very first to get one of these and it took two weeks to set up!

www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=174948

Ill check this thread later to see if you have any questions.

Your bottom line problem right now is the drivers are not installed correctly. Either because you didnt disable your security (ALL!!!) security. Or perhaps you are lacking the windows updates required for proper installation. I will try to find a link for a site that was helpfull in streamlining windows for audio that will help as well. Hope this helps!

Heres a couple more links that may help.

/www.audioforums.com/resources/windows-xp-optimization.html

www.alesis.com/support.php?cat=MultiMix FireWire Mixers

Man I wish I could remember what they were called but there are two "optional software" updates from windows that are vital, and I bet you dont have them. I cant even remember where I learned that. Stay clear of goofing with your Bios or anything like that. Its the updates. Gonna have to re install though. Actually uninstall then reinstall. Good luck.

Hey its called Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

What's the specs on the laptops you cats are using...??

I picked up the MM16 at GC last night... Got a pretty sweet deal on it and a bunch of other stuff.. Got 'em to price match the package deal MF has on the Firepod... MM16 Firewire, MXL990/991 mic pack, mic stands, cables, headphones, a couple of M-Audio BX5a monitors for $949.99 out the door.. I figure with the 12 months no interest deal on the GC card it'll work out great.. By the time that 12 months is up I oughta be up to snuff on all this stuff and making a few hundred grand a year at recording and mixing with this setup... (yeah, sarcasm...)

Haven't done anything more so far than unpack and start reading the book...

--
Rob

Ive got a p4 3.06 toshiba satelite Laptop computer
the mm16 firewire.
MAudio BX8's
And a ton of random mic's.

I have gotten some good recordings. Im almost certain my home electric is somehow making my recordings noisy..Ive got a power conditioner but it does not seem to do anything. Then again, it could just be my laptop.

Started TRYING to get the thing setup last night... Did all the Windows updates and got the driver updates for the MultiMix... Was looking at using N-Track since it's almost as cheap as I am and the Cubase LE, with it's 4 inputs at time recording on a 16 channel mixer/recording interface is about as useless as tits on a boar hog... With N-Track I had to update to .NET 2.0... Well guess what, the MultiMix drivers off the web ONLY work with .NET 1.1.something or another...

Used the drivers from the CD and got the MM loaded.. Everything went as it said it would in the book...

Installed N-Track and it cranked up fine, but I never could get it to recognize the MM and it locked up everytime I tried to get into the Preferences (guess this is where I go make hardware selection and adjustments).

Installed Cubase LE to see if it would work any better... Problem ONE.. After going through the Cubase install all the way to hitting the Finish button and the Windows Installer closing, when you try and close the Cubase installation selection screen I as told that the installation was incomplete and if I close now it may not work...

From there it all went downhill...

Opening Cubase for the first time I got a little popup window wanting to TEST something.. Ran the test and everything locked up so hard I had to pull the power plug and battery to shut down and reboot.

Once rebooted w/ the MM16 on starting ANY application would cause program locks. You could shut the programs down this time though. Rebooted again with the MM16 off. Turned the MM16 on and started Cubase again and it all went in the gutter again.

Reboot one more time with the MM16 off, open Cubase, changed the clock source to the Alesis and THEN start the MM16...

All seems Ok right now except only being able to select 4 channels to record from at a time... Not to sure it's entirely stable though. Haven't tried to put even the first sound trough the thing to see if it's going to actually record at this point.

Would LIKE to be able to get the updated drivers for the MM off the web to work with .NET 2.0, so I'll prolly be buggin' the begeebees out of Robert Ray with Alesis later today

And because I'm so cheap I'm gonna try and go back with N-Track

--
Rob

I have gotten some good recordings. Im almost certain my home electric is somehow making my recordings noisy..Ive got a power conditioner but it does not seem to do anything. Then again, it could just be my laptop.[/QUOTE]

Robert Ray told me that the very first thing that would happen if there were driver issues is some crackling noise. I thought I had power issues too but all of my problems were driver related. Once the install was done absolutley correct, all of the latency and power issues were fixed.

Oh and you want to leave the multi mix off while you boot up your pc. When youre ready to open your recording software, fire up the multi mix. Your pc will then recognize it.
good luck guys!

stinkfish said:
Oh and you want to leave the multi mix off while you boot up your pc. When youre ready to open your recording software, fire up the multi mix. Your pc will then recognize it.
good luck guys!

It could just be me and some of the OTHER problems I've been having, but don't try and power down the MultiMix until you're ready to reboot.. Can't shut it down the service through the PCMCIA Services and when you just turn it off anyway, it locks the laptop up. Have to shut down the laptop then the MultiMix and then power back up..

Of course that could just be me...

--
Rob

This seems to clear up alot of issues when running this mixer.

run the mulitimix control panel and just hit set clock master. No need to change settings but this somehow clears up stuff within the programs to make it work properly. You can run this while your audio application is on.

Finally had a chance to speak with the folks at Alesis.. They generally have the same working hours I do and I haven't had a chance to sit down in front of the mixer and get them on the phone...

We went through the whole setup deal, removed drivers and software and reinstalled.. No Dice.. Got down to disabling all the network and other sound cards still nothing.. Started talking laptop specs and they said I shouldn't have these problems.. Then he asked what processor the laptop was running.. D'Oh.. The MultiMix doesn't like Celeron processors at all.. He said he was actually surprised I was able to get the MultiMix to work for even a few minutes at a time..

So now I've gotta decide If I just wanna give up the idea for a while, hang onto the stuff I've got, or take it all back to GC, or go on and drop the extra coin now and get a new laptop or PC with a P4 or Athelon...

I'd kinda speced out a Dell Inspirion 6000 Laptop w/ 1.73Ghz Pentium M, 1gb DDR2, 60gb 7200rpm HD for just a shade over $1000. Not sure how the Pentium M Class stacks up to the P-IV or the AMD processors though.. If it gives me the same results as the Celeron, what's the point...

--
Rob

Back