muilt-band gate

UAD's Precision Multi-Band compressor is probably the best frequency-conscious gate I've used. And the "mix" control is the icing on the cake.

Cubase has got one built-in... well it's not really multiband, and I am not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it allows one to set a frequency range to which it "listens" to to open and close the gate.

But those are going to gate the entire signal - A multi-band (frequency conscious) gate can reduce rumble for a violin solo or HVAC for the tuba solo. It can reduce hiss when there is no high end information or reduce low end noise where there is no low end information. Same with low mids or high mids. You can specifically tune it for problematic mechanical noise *without* the entire signal being affected.

I don't use maul-the-band compression often at all - But frequency-conscious gating is another story - Especially for live / classical / ensemble work...

You could try creating a cross-over using two identical tracks, one with a low pass filter and the other with a high pass filter, and use a gate on only one. You will have to mess with the slope and frequency of the filter to minimize loss at the crossover point though. I don't know how workable this is but it seems like a good idea to me :)

Most keyable gates have the ability to gate at certain frequencies and not just everything as well though.

Back