Muffledness (!) on the VF80

Clagbag

Hi, I'm new to home recording and recently purchased a VF80 w/CD-writer. Since then, I have been recording directly using my electro-acoustic guitar and accompanying bass and have been pleasantly surprised at the results.

A couple of days ago I tried some electric guitar recording through a Zoom guitar pedal and have been having problems trying to make it sound right when recorded. When played back, the acoustic guitar recordings sound like there's someone in the room playing and it sounds great, but the guitar with the effects pedal sounds like it's being played on a tape recorder suspended in an old tin bucket.

I have both the guitar volume and pedal output at about 70% and the noise it makes through the speakers during recording sounds fine. I only get the muffled effect when playing the recording back.

Apologies if this is a common or very basic problem, I had a go at searching the forums but to no avail. Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hmm, I haven't delved deeply enough yet to try any effects on the unit itself, but the 'effects' button is lit and is set to 'on' by default in the menu. In fact, it's lit for every program I have. Would the fact that effects are 'on' even though none are set affect the quality of the recording?

I did say it may be a very basic thing!

Clagbag said:
Hmm, I haven't delved deeply enough yet to try any effects on the unit itself, but the 'effects' button is lit and is set to 'on' by default in the menu. In fact, it's lit for every program I have. Would the fact that effects are 'on' even though none are set affect the quality of the recording?

I did say it may be a very basic thing!

Just because the effects light is on doesn't mean effects are being applied to the track as you are recording. You can hear them, but they're not being applied durinf recording. In fact, if memory serves, I don't believe the VF80 will allow you to record effects in real time, ever -- they're only applied in mixdown, or in another method where the the track is essentially re-recorded to itself via the effects chip.

Back