muffled

carvin

I am working on a song for a band and it sounds really muffled. Is there a way to brighten it up? I use Sonar, Sound Forge, and Waves Diamond Bundle.

Yeah, lower 200-400Hz and boost 800, and 1200. Works perfectly for every song. Don't even need to hear it first.

carvin said:
I am working on a song for a band and it sounds really muffled. Is there a way to brighten it up? I use Sonar, Sound Forge, and Waves Diamond Bundle.

Post clip please.

Render your track and upload it to lightningmp3.com.

You'll receive a message in the e-mail with a link. It's all about clickin' that little globe with the chain link in the posting dialog after that.

Generally speaking though, muffled sound has to be approached systematically. What exactly is the problem? Is the overall mix muffled or does a certain instrument sound dull? Remember that sometimes you've got a buildup up a certain frequency range in just one instrument and it affects the balance of the others to make the overall mix sound too muffled or too bright. Take for example a warm sounding distorted rhythm guitar vs. one with too much presence. You have to make the call...Is the overly present one too bright or is the warmer guitar too bassy? Oftentimes it's a decision like this where you cut warmth in a few instruments that don't necessarily need it that makes the difference, not EQing the whole track.

carvin said:
First, dump the cracked Waves bundle. Cracked Waves software has a tendancy to erase hard drives ;).

Second, what does "working on a song for a band" mean? Are you tracking it, mixing it, pre-mastering it, re-mastering it or any combination of the above? That makes the difference in what advice you'll get.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
First, dump the cracked Waves bundle. Cracked Waves software has a tendancy to erase hard drives ;)

Ah come on, I was slowly going to fish that out of him and here you come to ruin everybodies good time.

Back