Muffled sound from comupter when recording..Soundcard?

scottboyher

Hello,

I am using Cool Edit 2.0 and a simple external mixer.

When I put a track in track 1 it sound fine but when I want to record to track 2 while playing back track 1 it sound muffled.

I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Very simple setup.. stereo line in from mixer to sound card and stereo line out to mixer.

I think I have it narrowed down to a sound card problem? or cool edit setting?

Please help..

Also I was looking at buyint the Lexicon alpha sound card. BUT... my computer only has 256ram and 1.5ghz speed..

Lexicon calls for 512 and 1.4... Should I not get it until I upgrade or can I get buy with this.. I don't do muli-instrument recording. it is just me and one instrument at a time.

Thanks all!

Understood..

What do you'ns think about the last part of the question? Should I go with an older soundcard that will be better suited to my older computer?

My input:

If you have an older machine, yes. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean to get a bad soundcard... and stay away from CREATIVE!!!

In my opinion, for an older machine (and even in some cases a new one), the best bang for the buck if you're just bringing in stereo (in other words, not recording a live band with 10 inputs) is the m-audio 2496. It does 24-bit 96kHz recording and even has a 36-bit DSP build in (and it's PCI, so it'll work even in an old machine).

It's uber stable, and bichen sound quality... enjoy!

(added) oh, and it's under $100.

The bottom end $100 soundcards are well respected: M-Audio 2496, Emu040 and Echo Mia PCI cards all work great. Yes, PLEASE stay away from Creative gamer cards.

(I started out years ago with a PII-450mhz machine with an Echo Mia and could run 30 tracks at 16bit/44.1khz from a secondary drive using NTracks3.... look at Reaper www.reaper.fm as it is a low-resource program and will even run off netbooks from usb sticks.)

Back