Muffled, rustly noise from Tascam 388

Hello! I've been the proud owner of a Tascam 388 for the past few years, and over the last year or so have watched almost all of my work move completely from the computer to my gorgeous all-in-one 1/4" 8 track. It's started making some muffled but noticeable rumble/rustle noises from the main outs. Not the headphone outs, but definitely the mains on the back. I only notice it when music isn't playing, so it isn't really getting in the way of mixdowns right now, but I imagine the next time I'm working on something that isn't an in-the-red punk album I'm going to be noticing it. This is a similar noise that I've heard come out of various tube amps over the years, and I think in most cases people say (in the amps) that it's some filter caps that need to be replaced. I have no idea.

Is this a problem someone out there has had and can say, "oh sure, I know exactly what you're talking about. Turn to page ____ in the manual, and replace part #abcde on that page." or am I going to need to figure out how to test components and whatnot? I've never taken this big fella apart! I'm not afraid to do it though, as long as I'm not out of a recorder for an extended period of time! I'm handy with a soldering iron and medium-depth dissassembly doesn't intimidate me, so bring it on! I want to keep this thing running at top notch because, well, they're not getting any cheaper.

You could start with deoxidizing all the rca contacts with deoxit and see if that doesn't help. Also clean and demagnetize the heads if you haven't done it recently. You might get lucky.

I clean heads and demagnetize like a friggin' champ, man! I haven't tried cleaning the jacks... I'm using the XLR outs on the back. When i unplugged the cable from the back of the machine, the rumples stopped so i assumed it wasn't the cable. I can Dexoit and scrape off the pins in the jack i spose...

Have you tried RCA outputs? The XLR jacks can really get oxidized, turning black over time. The pins should be shiny. When they get a layer of oxidation you have a capacitance thing going on. It could also be aging noisy transistors and/or bad capacitors. These are the most common culprits. Dirty pots and faders can contribute to the problem as well. Are right and left outputs both making noise? I’ve seen cables go bad as well, turning green inside and causing crackly noises, so test the RCA outs and try other XLR cables as well.

Back