Muddy Water Spins (acoustic/folk rock)

Hi Dave,

For comparison, the group that came to me while listening was Nickel Creek, with a heavier blues/rock vibe.
The structure also reminded me of the old-time field recordings of rural blues and ballads.

Good lead vocal, she's clear as a bell. She could come up a bit in the mix I feel.
Nice guitar work, some string noise in the opening riffs. I like the percussion patterns too.
Personally, I would like to hear a ghostly shaker of some sort from when you do the second guitar intro riff; both just to build a bit from there, and also to give the isolated opening vocal bits a bit more to work against.
My main peeve here is the lyrics, or lack of them. The title and the chorus is very evocative, but about halfway through the song, I find that lyrically the song just cruises on the repetition of the chorus lines without really developing a story.

As it starts, the song has the possibility of becoming quite a haunted tale; my 5 cents would be to perhaps reevaluate the verses of the song to get it to build more to a real finish.

I enjoyed the listen; hope my remarks are helpful.

Best,

CC

Thanks for listening. How strange that you would suggest a shaker in the intro - we have been back and forth on that same idea. I should probably track and and see how it sounds. I appreciate your comments.

Dave

Back