muddy vocals blues

cat

I need advice on getting cleaner vocals. I've listened to some of the songs I have recorded and the music sounds good but the vocals don't. I've been using a Rode NT3 with an ART tube pre-amp going into the mixer un-processed then to the HD recorder.

Just for hahas try removing the Art Toob MP from your signal chain.I think it adds a lot of noise,if you want an inexpensive,very clean and quiet pre try a Midiman Audio Buddy ($79).

Yo Meow Meow Man:

Don't know what other gear you are using but since I like "up front" CLEAR vocals, I've worked on that a long time.

Some things you can try: run your vocal to two tracks.

You can soften the music a bit by panning certain tracks left or right but not adversely right/left.

Have you checked your "articulation" when you sing? Need to emphasize the T's, and other hard consonants. Like listen to a B. Streisand vocal, a Sinatra vocal; this will give you examples of up front clear articulation.

Don't bury your vocal in reverb. This takes time and practice. Sometimes I run seven or eight or more takes on a vocal with different reverb settings.

You can also use EQ to help clean up a vocal but EQ is not a fix; it is a tool to use sparingly.

How about mic technique? How close? How far? How do you set the mic? How hot is the mic signal? It should be right up there next to distortion.

Of course if you are doing digital, don't distort; it sounds ugly.

I hope some of this will help you get better vocals. It's a matter of practice, practice, practice and creative experimentation.

Green Hornet

:D :cool: :p :p

Back