muddy low end...What is it???

do a broad cut with about a half db dip and fish between 200-500Hz and you should find it.
That 'mastering' type eq dip should be just enough to get rid of what you don't want, but keep
what you do want.
Once you find the area, increase or decrease the dip to taste. The key here is broad Q (perhaps 2 octaves +/-) and small reduction. Too much and you'll be where you started with getting rid of both what you don't want and do want.

Identify the source(s) and pull it out there. Probably the not the smartest idea to do it on the master bus. I agree that a wide Q with a marginal db dip could do the trick.

The bass does not have a lot of definition, so be careful of doing anything on the low end on the master bus - I'd add some high/high-mid to the bass track for a start. the mud is from the multiple guitars all playing the same thing starting about half-way in, then the lead guitar winding its way in and out (which is fine) kind of accents it. What do you have for EQ on the guitar tracks right now? Maybe scooping a little in the 200-400 range on one or both?.

The bass does not have a lot of definition, so be careful of doing anything on the low end on the master bus - I'd add some high/high-mid to the bass track for a start. the mud is from the multiple guitars all playing the same thing starting about half-way in, then the lead guitar winding its way in and out (which is fine) kind of accents it. What do you have for EQ on the guitar tracks right now? Maybe scooping a little in the 200-400 range on one or both?.

Thanks for responding guys...gtrs...I have high pass cut at 100hz, a 3db cut at 200hz, 3db cut at 600hz, a 3 db boost at 2.6khz

Whoa, kinda sounds like RAMI...

I am not hearing much of any 'mud' on my setup.

If anything there is a lack in the low end from what I hear.

The obvious 'sampled' snare makes me cringe though I understand why you need to use it. The cymbals sound fake as well and it seems to take away from everything else in the mix IMO.

By the way, the performance and tune are really good. It is IMO going to be the drums that are going to hold you back from getting this where you want.

https://soundcloud.com/fernando-t-5/wholl-stop-the-rain-heavy-basic-master

The song sounds pretty good and I'm happy with mix but the low seems to be a little muddy. Whenever I tried to fix it, I end up loosing the bottom end? Any sugesstions?

It's not muddy. It's the guitars - turn 'em down a dB each and highpass 'em another hair. There's a guy on this forum who does music like this who's so afraid of what's happening in your mix that he axes everything that hints of that. The difference is that his mixes are tight and yours are kind of wild. I vote for wild, but he doesn't listen to me, so you'll have to do the listening. This is just about there. The wing guitars are too loud is all. If you turn 'em down, you'll be able to hear the guitar solo.

The biggest problem with this one is the lack of definition on the bass. It's there, but really indistinct.

Like the tune.

It's not muddy. It's the guitars - turn 'em down a dB each and highpass 'em another hair. There's a guy on this forum who does music like this who's so afraid of what's happening in your mix that he axes everything that hints of that. The difference is that his mixes are tight and yours are kind of wild. I vote for wild, but he doesn't listen to me, so you'll have to do the listening. This is just about there. The wing guitars are too loud is all. If you turn 'em down, you'll be able to hear the guitar solo.

The biggest problem with this one is the lack of definition on the bass. It's there, but really indistinct.

Like the tune.

I actually agree with this, but being a drummer.... :)

Aaaahhh the drums. I know what you mean, but it is a necessary evil....Although if it makes you feel any better I did use a real drummer for this song...way more cymbal hits than I would have used.lol. But his personality does come out which is great.
So I've given the a couple of eq bumps in the mid highs for the bass, which seems nice. I high passed the guitars another hair which seems nice, but I dare not go anymore. I'll post soon. Thanks for the help.

Aaaahhh the drums. I know what you mean, but it is a necessary evil....Although if it makes you feel any better I did use a real drummer for this song...way more cymbal hits than I would have used.lol. But his personality does come out which is great.
So I've given the a couple of eq bumps in the mid highs for the bass, which seems nice. I high passed the guitars another hair which seems nice, but I dare not go anymore. I'll post soon. Thanks for the help.

Cool man. Look forward to hearing the update.

And yeah, where is RAMI? :eek:

Back