muddy c414 b-uls

stax

help, i need an opinion.

after about a year and a half of procrastinating and asking research i took the big step of purchasing an akg c414. against my better judgement i bought it over the internet as it was about $200 bucks cheaper than the local stores. though it was imediately apparent how the mic blew away my c3000 i'm wondering if it's still not working properly. it seems to me that the mic is kind of muddy and muffled unless i turn on the eq. i don't have to tweek it much to get a good sound but i'm not sure if it should sound as muddy as it does without any eq. has anyone else had this problem? is this normal for the c414? it seems like i'm usually cutting at around 500 to get clear up the sound.

any advice is helpful,

cheers

stax

hi stax: I too, just bought 2- C414's (B -ULS & TLII) , one off the internet, and the other, off craigs list. I also just got one of the new Electro Harmonix 12YA7 mic peamps. I have found these mics to be very cleanand warm. The main difference I hear over my former vocal set up, a RODENT1A going through an ART TPSII preamp, and the c414 going through the EH, is the lack of brittleness, for lack of a better word. I am using the other 414 to catch my snare and high hat. It also gives a much warmer, realistic sound, than the AT30305 through the ART. My vocals, to my ears, sound much smoother. THis combination has taken the edge of my earlier recordings. I am really happy with my 414's and $800 for the 2, was a great deal. I should be getting an oktava MK 012 with the 3 capsules, in the mail next week(a craigs list deal from out of state). I am really excited to getting to know the 414's and oktava. I hope you find out the deal with your mic. I have bought 5 mics, used via the net, and all have come just as described. Here is a link to my music, with the 414's on the songs within the last couple weeks. Walter

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/waltertoresspontobeat.htm

Back