MTC to synch a Studio in a box and Reaper?

rog999

Dear All

Not sure of this is possible. I know you can synch a midi instrument like a drum machine or a keyboard with the Tascam DP02 using the midi out on the DP02 to send Midi Time Code to a midi instrument.

However. Does anyone know if you can synch your DAW, in this case Reaper to the DP02 using the Midi Time Code.

If it is possible to do this then any advice on cabling and set up would be much appreciated

All the best

Roger

Drum machines and synths will be far and few that sync to MTC, midi clock is what they use to sync. DAWs are usually capable of syncing to MTC and I would be surprised if Reaper did not have that function as well. You could always have reaper as the master clock source and send out both MTC and clock to sync everything together..

Thanks for that. DP02 can also send out clock time I believe.

But if used Reaper to sync everything that makes more sense to me.
I guess I just need need to do is make sure I have everything is connected connected with midi cables.

I am fairly new to MIDI so please bear with me.

Currently I have a single MIDI to USB interface I connect MIDI "In and Out" to my keyboard, then connect from my keyboard midi thru to my drum machine, if the drum machine has a midi thru then this could go to my DP02.

I will try and get that working. It should give me extra tracks to play with.

Roger

Generally. it is a good idea to when your sending sync to a device to only use one cable per device. MTC and midi clock are both what are called system realtime midi messages which will take priority over any other midi message and can affect the timing of any other midi message sent from the same port. If you can use MTC, do so since it has a much higher resolution than midi clock.

One thing also to remember is that MTC is like SMTPE time code so it is sending time data (H.M.S.SS) while midi clock is musical (24 ppqn and tempo) so it can also allow you to move around the track timeline easily

Back