MSR-24 vs TSR-8 vs 238

Hey all I have the opportunity to trade for a Tascam MSR-24, or a Tascam 238. The 238 has been rebelted and serviced, but I don't believe the caps have been replaced. I also have a TSR-8 on the line but I would have to wait til the cash comes along, as the seller is not interested in a trade. I've got cold feet in regards to trading but definitely want one of these multi-tracks. In my head I'm kind of leaning towards to TSR-8 because of the wider tape width per track and the price of 1/2" tape is much more affordable than the MSR's 1". The 24 is an easier and cleaner deal though. It may need servicing, but if the machine is worth using I don't mind getting a tech for this. Any practicality for using 3 tracks per input to "expand" the track width on the tape so essentially it is an 8 track? is that even easy to do?
What is y'alls input on any of this? lol Thank you :-)

Those are three different but all good machines.

What are you trading?? Is this trading item good for any of the units?

I’ve owned two 238s nice machines, very easy to use sound surprisingly good, and with the remote are very versatile.

I haven’t owned, but I’ve used a TSR8. Very nice machines and 8 tracks on half inch tape sounds excellent. Sonically it’s the equivalent of a one inch 26 track.

Never used or owned the MSR24, but have heard from ‘real people’ not forums that it’s a great machine. But get the DBX version not the dolby.

I’d say if what you’re trading is the same for both machines, go with the MSR

(Just reread your post saying the 8 track was cash only)

I kind of realized I would need a 24 channel board to run the MSR-24 wouldn’t I? 😅 that sort of brings the 24 track out of the question. I don’t have the space for that. Although the amount of stereo tracks at disposal is very tempting.

I agree though the reel to reel is more enticing than a 238.
The purpose of the operation is the sync up with a tascam 688 with a midiizer. If I get the 24 there’s smaller tape width per track as well as totally overblowing my purpose of wanting to pair two decks. I mean what’s another 7 tracks to 23. A bit much 🤪
Appreciate the feedback and interest!

I offered to trade a Dr Z maz 38 1x12 for all of these. And added a 1970s guild semi hollow body for the MSR-24. I offered it for the TSR-8 as well cuz what do I have to lose, hardly play either of them these days. My interest right now is leading me towards playing around with midi and smpte sync.

Are all machine local?

One issue that’s developed over the years with the 238 is the runaway capstan issue.

You can read up on it on this forum

Search @ sweetbeats. He’s our resident Tascam, and all around tech genius.

The TRS 8 should sync up to the 688

I offered to trade a Dr Z maz 38 1x12 for all of these. And added a 1970s guild semi hollow body for the MSR-24. I offered it for the TSR-8 as well cuz what do I have to lose, hardly play either of them these days. My interest right now is leading me towards playing around with midi and smpte sync.
I think that trade is a bit lopsided in favor of the other party. Both are sellable items . Better to sell and pay cash (imho)

Are all machine local?

One issue that’s developed over the years with the 238 is the runaway capstan issue.

You can read up on it on this forum

Search @ sweetbeats. He’s our resident Tascam, and all around tech genius.

The TRS 8 should sync up to the 688
All of them are local. I wouldn’t do anything over a 50m radius. 100 if I’m really GASing 🤣

I hear the caps in the 238 need to be replaced which I have a feeling on the 238 hasn’t been done, although there is a new belt and a remote control for it.

Reactions: RFR
I think that trade is a bit lopsided in favor of the other party. Both are sellable items . Better to sell and pay cash (imho)
This is true but requires sitting on the gear to sell and possibly losing out on the desired gear. Plus it pains me to sell for some reason.. I’d rather trade. But I may consider just sitting on the sale! The dr z is currently listed. I’m antsy to get working with tape 🤪

I'd actually suggest a console with at least a few extra channels so you can return reverbs and other effects with eq and routing options rather than through limited aux returns.
Man yeah I don’t think I could manage the space for that in my desired application. Would be a total re-imagination of my workflow. So maybe the msr24 is out of question.

Hahaha, impatience can sometimes lead to bad deals. Emotion takes over logic;)
Just sayin........

NO! Don’t sell the remote. You have no idea how great they are till you use one. Just my opinion of course:)
This is all good advice.
Well seeing that the tsr-8 has been listed for 2 months now, may be a good possibility it’ll be waiting for me after selling the Dr Z.

Leaning towards the reel machines.
TSR-8 is in supposedly near mint condition so it’s all the more enticing.(pictures on the way)
The MSR-24 is in decent condition, and been in a temperate storage for years. The big deal breaker here is the real estate a 24+ channel board would take up.
Syncing a tape machine with the 688 it seems either 8 tracks are good options, (30 track is overkill, I like limitations) and having cassette on the 688, seems more fun to branch out and sync up some 1/2” tape instead of another cassette deck.
Just thinking out loud here lol

Be prepared on the 8 track to spring for a new pinch roller. No matter how mint it is, the rubber goes bad after a while.

There’s a guy on eBay selling new ones for about 89 bucks. My MSR 16 (great machine) I bought mint, with only 3 reels of tape ever recorded, still needed one.

Guy went on tour, packed the machine in the original packing and it sat for 2 years.
When he got off the road, his songwriting partner moved on to protools, so he sold it to me. But even in the excellent shape it was in, it needed a new pinch roller.

Sweet deal! I’m hoping this TSR has the same amount of playback as your MSR. Baby tape heads!
alright, that is sound advice. I’ll definitely replace the pinch roller and I’ll give the belt a good look through to see how thats 30 y/o is holding up.

Back