Mr16hd

I have a MR16 HD/CD and like it. The operation of the recorder is quite logical and straightforward ( the User Manual is NOT!!!) The editing facilities are fairly comprehensive and the the "clipboard" copy and paste is useful. the "Direct Locate" is better than the older Jog/Shuttle and you can be millisecond precise with your Locate.
On the downside. It is not the most sophisticated machine, having to use Input A then B then C etc is annoying as you have to plug and unplug for each separate recording. Some users "front end" the Fostex with a mixer so that they can leave their instruments and mics permanently plugged. The Input EQ is not flexible enough and is fiddly to use and the "Menu" system is a bit complicated but comprehensive. Again some users just use the MR for recording and dump the "raw" recordings into a PC and edit using Audacity or another package.
I use the Aux Out to re-record my raw input by patching back to Inputs A & B, I can then test the Input EQ settings to suit my material.
Overall it is a good "workhorse" of a recorder, very versatile and flexible but not very sophisticated. Once you learn the way it works, I expect you will like its "simplicity".
WavManager is a requirement for your PC, it downloads the tracks into the PC for editing. It can be found on the www.fostexusa.com web site. Pick the version for the MR16 and your computer.

I'm new to all of this also and acquired the MR16 HD/CD from a private party and will be asking many questions to learn 'How' and 'Why' of the basic operation and function.
So, it doesnot create virtual tracks as I have heard on other recorders, like the Roland VS880? I heard it creates a virtual 3/4 tracks along with the original, so that you can edit a track and if it is not to your liking then you always have a backup copy to replace the edited one?
If not, then a copy should be made to the computer based input somewhere for replacement. See... new guy here and will start searching the forum for answers, but all information is indeed "Welcome"!
Thank you.........

Make sure you re-format the disk before you start and get the latest software (1.08)
The MR16 does not have virtual tracks like some other machines, the Zoom for example.

When I turn my MR16 on I believe I see version (1.06) looking for downloads I only see the file MR16V105.MOT. Could you tell me where you've gotten (1.08)? Today I am installing the WavManager_WIN_212, I hope I don't ruin anything.

Question for anyone willing to answer. Is there a way to use the WavManager software to put tracks onto the MR16 that were created outside of the MR16. Such as tracks created in Acid or Audition. Maybe even a drum track created with a PC Drum Machine. I can be sure that the .wav file properties are the same a s what the MR16 seems to export which seem to be 705kbps, 16 bit mono, 44khz, and of course PCM.

Thanks for this reply "Terfyn". I am not able still to find the mentioned update (1.08) for my MR16HD. I looked around quite a bit at your above link, however did not find an update that was for the MR16HD. If you can further direct me to that update I would most likely install it. However everything I am attempting to do thus far has worked very well, so I am not really stuck. I would like to have the latest updates though.

Back