Mr. Soul.... By Voodoo

Big crowd was it? :D Did Neil Young do this tune ?

They actually draw a pretty good crowd. They play every Wed. evening at Waldo's in Vero Beach, where this was recorded. The problem is that this was recorded outside. The environment is very tough for catching the crowd. About 6-8' in front of the band platform is a large swimming pool. I actually mixed the live sound and recorded from the other side of the swimming pool and it took nearly all of my 100' snake to snake it around and get there. The bar, where most people hang out, is about 50' to the band's left (stage left). A good time was had by all.

Neil wrote the song and performed it. It was originally done by Buffalo Springfield, of which Neil was a member.

Lol, I was just bein an ass, nice recording. I did not know Neil Young was a member of Buffalo Springfield. Cool.

Sounds really good to me. I wonder did you set up to record from the actual mix from the mixer or did you have equipment that did the recording. I ask because when mixing live performances do you pan things. Like a guitar left and one right and vocals in the center. I've never did the actual sound man stuff myself but would love to know what is right. I wouldn't mind doing some sound man stuff. Great recording though. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Outstanding.

Trump

Thanks Trumpino. I actually did everything in the box, including the live mix. I used a Presonus Firestudio and a Presonus Digimax FS for preamps. Mics came into the Presonus gear and then out to the computer where they were recorded using Reaper. Additionally, I used Reaper as an interface to the live feed to add a touch of reverb to the live vocal mix. I was able to use the software that came with the Presonus gear to do an FOH mix and a second mix for a side fill monitor. I really didn't pay much attention to the recording since I was more worried about the live mix (this was my first attempt at in the box live mixing). All went well and the band loved it. They normally mix from stage and only vocals and kick. I was doing it strictly as an experiment. I would like to try it again, and may in a couple of weeks, to see if I can add some compression and EQ to the live mix (mainly kick). Of course, I can do all that in the mix down of the recorded material.

PDP... both Neil Young and Steve Stills were in Buffalo Springfield. Both went on to bigger things. ;)

Back