mr raja

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Hey,

Check this on out and let me know what you think if you get a chance. Musically speaking, it's not that adventurous, as I tend to recycle the same basic building blocks when making a song, but sonically I think it's pretty interesting as I used a wider assortment of instruments and did a lot of sub-mixes of weird FX tracks, vocals, etc.

I wanted a heavy kick & bass sound on this, but originally overdid it a bit, then pulled them back, and now think it's about where I want it.

Thanks,
Pete

Yes, sonically more involving. I am sonically involved, resonically resolved. That bit in the middle with nothing but synths and beats is... is... that's right. No words for it. But bring the harp out more. Way more.

Humpy bumbpy funcky.

Do the harp again if you're inspired and want to inhale and exhale more frequently than you did here. I mean, I bet it's fun playing harp...

Cool tune, I thought the synth bass was just a bit too heavy and the organ doing the little melody could come up a little more. I understand you want the organ to stay in the back, but it is a pretty cool little riff.

I like this! Just like all your tunes. Mellow tune. Nice harmonies! Baddass synth you got going there!

Great. Thanks Crows!

I don't have a synthesizer, but I'm guessing the fuzz bass sounds like one? It's just the same bass used on the rest of the song, but run through a big muff fuzz pedal. Thanks again!

Yeah, dude. You've got a signature groove in all your stuff, and I love it. Good work with this one, Pete!

Thanks PI!

Yes, sonically more involving. I am sonically involved, resonically resolved. That bit in the middle with nothing but synths and beats is... is... that's right. No words for it. But bring the harp out more. Way more.

Humpy bumbpy funcky.

Do the harp again if you're inspired and want to inhale and exhale more frequently than you did here. I mean, I bet it's fun playing harp...

Thanks dobro dude. No synths here, but see above for the bass I think you're hearing.

One thing I didn't do on this was the harmonica. I don't own one and wouldn't know how to play it if I did. fritsthegirl was kind enough to contribute that part as I was stuck without chorus lyrics or a hook as usual. I liked what she did there though.

Cool tune, I thought the synth bass was just a bit too heavy and the organ doing the little melody could come up a little more. I understand you want the organ to stay in the back, but it is a pretty cool little riff.

Thanks DM60 - you must mean the distorted bass guitar in the breaks? Yeah, maybe it is too much. Tough to find a balance between that and the other parts as they're so different you know? I'll see about that organ part. One of them sounds exactly like the riff from "96 Tears" I think?!

Only had a listen on my phone but what I hear sounds very good. I'll be back later for another listen.

:thumbs up:

Cool!

I used the new iMix app that uses presets to optimize your mix for playback through 1cm smartphone speakers! Glad it seems to work.

:p

Everything sounds great. Except the low end is still too strong I think. Comparing it against some pro mixes with strong bottoms... It's still way louder.

Love the vocals. Love the keyboards.

I guess maybe the vocals could come up just a bit.

Everything sounds great. Except the low end is still too strong I think. Comparing it against some pro mixes with strong bottoms... It's still way louder.

Love the vocals. Love the keyboards.

I guess maybe the vocals could come up just a bit.

Great. Thanks MMM!

I think I was going for like hip hop/rap levels of bass/kick, but maybe I even exceeded that threshold. At least the clarity is pretty good down there I think...

Tons of different organ tracks on this one. I'm finding that once you run a Hammond through guitar pedals, there are endless possibilities for weird sounds.

This marks my first time playing or recording a viola too. Easy to record but almost impossible to play imo. Thanks again.

Woah, tons of cool stuff going on here. The organ seems to have given you a whole load of new musical avenues to explore - and I love the main refrain from it. The transition between the herky jerky and the harmonica sections works really well. The vocal melody has a bit of a George Harrison eastern feel about it.

I like the fuzzed up bass, but I think that having it like that you're kinda lacking some low end warmth - (mainly from the start of the tune up to about 1.40 where it all opens up nicely). I'd be tempted to double track that bass line with a more natural, unfuzzed take that you could blend in with the other at a lower volume. Maybe you could low pass the more natural version so that it provides body and high pass the fuzzy version so that it has presence and a fucked up fuzzy character. If that makes sense?

I look forward to giving this a few more listens when I get chance. Nice to hear something new from you as ever :)

I've listened through my monitors in a nicely treated room and through some cans that are naturally a little low end heavy and I'm not hearing anything wrong on either setup. So to me, it's good to go as-is. Sounds great. Lots of stuff going on and it's all there. Nothing being masked, nothing being stomped out, everything is clear and audible. Very well done.

I especially like the little "96 Tears" by ? and the Mysterians organ line thrown in there. Don't know if that was intentional, but it's there and I love it.

Woah, tons of cool stuff going on here. The organ seems to have given you a whole load of new musical avenues to explore - and I love the main refrain from it. The transition between the herky jerky and the harmonica sections works really well. The vocal melody has a bit of a George Harrison eastern feel about it.

I like the fuzzed up bass, but I think that having it like that you're kinda lacking some low end warmth - (mainly from the start of the tune up to about 1.40 where it all opens up nicely). I'd be tempted to double track that bass line with a more natural, unfuzzed take that you could blend in with the other at a lower volume. Maybe you could low pass the more natural version so that it provides body and high pass the fuzzy version so that it has presence and a fucked up fuzzy character. If that makes sense?

I look forward to giving this a few more listens when I get chance. Nice to hear something new from you as ever :)

Thanks rob! Yeah, I have split a bass track into two before - one fuzzed and the other clean) with mixed results. Here, I was looking for maximum contrast without sounding totally disjointed, and I think I achieved that to some extent at least, but I hear what you're saying. The fuzz sucks the low end out of that thing (it's a guitar pedal, not meant for bass). The beginning sections of the tune are meant to be a bit stark and then build as it goes, with one almost total drop out, then full instrumentation.

The outro is different this time in that instead of adding layers and building, I stripped them away, and I liked the different grooves that were created by removing stuff that I originally intended to keep throughout. Thanks again!

I've listened through my monitors in a nicely treated room and through some cans that are naturally a little low end heavy and I'm not hearing anything wrong on either setup. So to me, it's good to go as-is. Sounds great. Lots of stuff going on and it's all there. Nothing being masked, nothing being stomped out, everything is clear and audible. Very well done.

I especially like the little "96 Tears" by ? and the Mysterians organ line thrown in there. Don't know if that was intentional, but it's there and I love it.

Awesome. Thanks Greg! That is reassuring.

Yeah, once I land on that particular organ tone, I instinctively play that riff. I love that old tune and the riff is so fun and easy. I was just playing along and really didn't mean to copy it, but I realized shortly after what I'd done. Hopefully "?" won't mind...

:)

Good song, sounds great here. Nothing to suggest for improvement on the mix.

Love the fuzz bass, and the harmonica is a nice touch. Vocals really sound terrific, and they fit right into the mix. Good job!

Good song, sounds great here. Nothing to suggest for improvement on the mix.

Love the fuzz bass, and the harmonica is a nice touch. Vocals really sound terrific, and they fit right into the mix. Good job!

Thanks Tadpui - that's great to hear. Thanks to fritsthegirl for the harmonica part too! :)

Currently kickin the shit out of the neighbours and everyone else in the vicinity with this and it sounds MINT to me. I only have a Wharfedale hifi thingy to listen with with some good Wharfedale Speakers. (A good hifi set up I guess, it's what I do all my mixes on, etc)

Top banana in my book. I'd leave it as is. Great tune and a great addition to your collective. :thumbs up:

Currently kickin the shit out of the neighbours and everyone else in the vicinity with this and it sounds MINT to me. I only have a Wharfedale hifi thingy to listen with with some good Wharfedale Speakers. (A good hifi set up I guess, it's what I do all my mixes on, etc)

Top banana in my book. I'd leave it as is. Great tune and a great addition to your collective. :thumbs up:

Yay! That's great. Thanks Mr. C. I probably did spend a bit more time fiddling with this one than most, so it's gratifying to hear that it sounds good to others. I too do all my mixing on a home stereo setup, and for the most part, I love it. Thanks again!

Back