MR-8 problems

mstevens 51

Hellow to all, I'am very new to this forum and to home recording so bear with me.
I just purchased the MR-8 a couple of days ago and I've got the machine understood, but having some trouble wth the computer side. I'am using win 98 se so I'am using a CF reader to down load. I can transfer to the computer and get it to the wave manager but I don't know what to do with it from there. Is there any editing to use in the wavemanager or do you have to have your own softwhere? What programs do you suggest? I've downloaded Pro tools free to try, but can't seem to get anywhere with it.

I,am also having trouble doing the update 1.03, I think because I'am using the CF reader. It won't download to the card.
My main reson for using this machine is to record some live music for the band I play with. This is not intended to be for some quality cd, it's for reference but I would like to do some editing and learn more about recording.

Thank you for your response. Mike

Last edited:
You need some software program to do editing on your computer. Many people seem to like n-track studio for computer editing. Its functional, inexpensive, and offers a nearly completely functional free trial download. There is also a forum dedicated to its use on this site for support questions.

Take Care :)

Adam

I just did the 1.03 update with a CF reader; actually I think that is the easier method (as compared to hooking the MR-8 up to the computer). What I describe here is in the documentation from Fostex about the update, so if you understand that I'm not telling you anything new.

I first put my card in the CF reader and hook it up to the USB on my PC. The card shows up as a drive. I copy the software update file (it was named xxx103, or something like that without any file extensions that I remember. It was over 1Mb, that I noticed) to the ROOT level of the card drive. That means that after you copied it, if you click on the drive name in the folder list, you should see that file appear in the right hand of your Explorer window.

Remove the card and plug that into the MR-8. Now hold down the STOP button (going by memory here, better double check that in Fostex's documentation) and turn the machine on. Now you should see the updated screen. Just select Update and watch the amp sim buttons blink for a bit and it should be complete.

I did find out that I have to hold the STOP button a bit after switch the machine on. The first time I did it I didn't and the MR-8 just went to the normal start up screen displaying the song I was working on.

Hope this helps.

DC

I used the card reader myself, and found it to be almost effortless. digitcallous pretty much explained it, just make sure it's unzipped, and in the root directory. Pretty much a breeze after that.

Great explanation .I got it on the frist try. Thanks to all who replied. Now I've downloaded N-tracks and trying to sort thru that whole thing. I'am just not sure if this is what I need. I don't want to record on the pc, just edit. Is this easy with the N-track softwhere? Mike

mstevens 51 said:
Great explanation .I got it on the frist try. Thanks to all who replied. Now I've downloaded N-tracks and trying to sort thru that whole thing. I'am just not sure if this is what I need. I don't want to record on the pc, just edit. Is this easy with the N-track softwhere? Mike

"Easy" is a relative term, but the developer of n-Track incorporates so many user requested features into the product that it is very intuitive once you get used to the whole concept.

Pro Tools Free is notoriously bad on Windows, so n-Track should be a nice change!

Yes your right about "easy". Should have said user friendly.. Is the unregistered version that I'am using very limited?

Mike

As I recall, the unregistered version limits effects to the first track, and disables the ability mix down to a final stereo wav, so it certainly gives you enough to see if it will work for your needs. (I got about an hour into it and registered so I could start using effects on my mix.)

After years of struggling with Cakewalk, n-Track was a refreshing change - and it seems to work great on my notebook, as well. Can't beat it for the price, and the guy who moderates the n-Track forum on this board is quick to respond and quite knowledgable.

Back