MR-8 pedal, stop-start recording possible?

Rudy2

Howdy all,

I looked at the MR-8 8051 pedal function, and while it might be useful to some, it doesn't seem to do what I want. The description says it is used to "punch in and punch out", which evidentally means to either start playback or start recording. What I want is a pedal that simply starts and stops recording. Can this be done with the 8051 (or a generic pedal) and configuring the MR-8 accordingly?

Rudy2

pedal

The pedal should punch in,-start recording- And punch out,-stop recording- That is its function. So if you want to correct a part. Start playback before the part, hit pedal at desired time and you will start recording. hit pedal again when you are finished. I used the pedal on my X-26 cassette recorder. It takes some getting used to,especially punching out. On the mr8 I use the locate A and B function for punching and have great success with it. That way I don't have to worry about playing and hitting the pedal for a clean punch. You also don't run the risk of erasing something you don't want to because you didn't punch out in time. If the recorder does it for you it stops recording at the locate B point saving you the heartache of sometimes having to do the whole track over because punch outs aren't clean. If you want to use the pedal, you'll have to mess with it to get a feel for it. Good luck. Pj

I looove the pedal! Since I've started recording to the computer I was going to sell the MR8, but it's just too darn handy when you have lots of overdubs. I guess I'm just more used to stomping on something real quick.

Ah, so it sounds like it does exactly what I want to do, which is to simply start and stop recording. But it is more often used to start recording at a specific spot in an existing track, correct?

What takes getting used to with it? Stomp once for go, stomp again for stop, right?

Rudy2

pedal

Yes. Hit once to record. then again to stop. And its function is to make corrections or changes in an existing track. But you can use it however you like. I did a whole vocal track,line by line on my cassette recorder punching in and out. My trouble spot with the pedal was punching out but that was with tape. Digital may be different. T1ny seems to have success with the pedal. Your record light should come on when punching in and go out when punching out. And if you don't like the take,you can use the undo function to get rid of it and start over. Pj

The only thing to keep in mind you need to stop the mr8 after you've punched out before it will let you punch back in. But this is a good thing so you can listen back and make sure it sounds good.

T1ny said:
I looove the pedal! Since I've started recording to the computer I was going to sell the MR8, but it's just too darn handy when you have lots of overdubs. I guess I'm just more used to stomping on something real quick.
I don't mean to jack this post, but I have a question about the pedal? Can you use any standard pedal (like a yamaha keyboard pedal used for dampening)? Or do you have to buy the pedal from Fostex? I have been curious about that since I bought the mr8. I can't count how many times I've had to delete a track and record it again, or took the time to set up the A/B points (which is a pain in the @$$ for me), when I could have used the pedal. I can't just go out and buy one right now (it's a long story), but I have the yamaha pedal.

I honestly dont think the pedal brand matters. I only got the Fostex one because it was thrown in with the MR8 as a special. The plug looks like every other one I've seen... Give it a shot and see what it does, you dont need to configure anything. Arm a track start playing it and stomp to see if the record light kicks on.

T1ny said:
The only thing to keep in mind you need to stop the mr8 after you've punched out before it will let you punch back in. But this is a good thing so you can listen back and make sure it sounds good.

Hi T1ny,

You mean after stopping (punching out) I have to dash over to the MR-8 and mess with it before I can begin recording again (punching in)??? This is not a good thing as far as I am concerned. What I would like is to have the hands-off ability to start and stop the recording process with a toe tap while I am on stage. Why-oh-why doesn't someone sell a digital recorder designed for both live performance and studio use sans all the safeguards and bells and whistles the current digi devices offer for editing? Sometimes more is less. How about just offering plain old tape-machine features but using a HD or memory card for data storage instead of magnetic tape? I would buy one!!

Rudy2

T1ny said:
I honestly dont think the pedal brand matters. I only got the Fostex one because it was thrown in with the MR8 as a special. The plug looks like every other one I've seen... Give it a shot and see what it does, you dont need to configure anything. Arm a track start playing it and stomp to see if the record light kicks on.
I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks!

pedal

while this wil work unles the buttone sare broken on the mr8 why bother, the auto punch in feature is easy and works seamlessly for me....

Rokket said:
Can you use any standard pedal (like a yamaha keyboard pedal used for dampening)? Or do you have to buy the pedal from Fostex?
I picked up a foot switch from Radio Shack and a separate 1/4" adapter to interface into the MR-8 and it works fine. It's only just over $5 so it's well worth the money for the benefit you get.

thats it

pjh6467 said:
The pedal should punch in,-start recording- And punch out,-stop recording- That is its function. So if you want to correct a part. Start playback before the part, hit pedal at desired time and you will start recording. hit pedal again when you are finished. I used the pedal on my X-26 cassette recorder. It takes some getting used to,especially punching out. On the mr8 I use the locate A and B function for punching and have great success with it. That way I don't have to worry about playing and hitting the pedal for a clean punch. You also don't run the risk of erasing something you don't want to because you didn't punch out in time. If the recorder does it for you it stops recording at the locate B point saving you the heartache of sometimes having to do the whole track over because punch outs aren't clean. If you want to use the pedal, you'll have to mess with it to get a feel for it. Good luck. Pj

there is even a rehearsal mode for the auto punch in....
use the auto punch feature as pj suggested its so easy, i dont get why you want to use a pedal when this is a built in feature of the unit.???? didi i miss someting????

punch in

Rudy. The function of punch in/punch out is for correcting mistakes or adding small parts to existing tracks..From your last post I see you want to use this for live applications which means recording the song as a whole. Not track by track or overdubbing. The best solution I have for that is find someone to hit the play and record buttons when you start the song and have them hit stop when it's over and forget about the pedal. Good luck

pjh6467 said:
Rudy. The function of punch in/punch out is for correcting mistakes or adding small parts to existing tracks..From your last post I see you want to use this for live applications which means recording the song as a whole. Not track by track or overdubbing. The best solution I have for that is find someone to hit the play and record buttons when you start the song and have them hit stop when it's over and forget about the pedal. Good luck

Yep, that is what I have learned from the reply posts to my original message. Sheeeitt! Why-oh-why doesn't someone sell a modern session recording device that does the rudimentary tasks of recording without the fancy schmancy stuff of a multitrack recorder? Doesn't anyone actually do live recording any more?? I play with exceptional artists who don't NEED over-dubs and trac swaps, and could not adapt to that scene anyway. This "polishing the turd" technology really pisses me off.

Rudy2

i see what you are getting at

you can just keep the thing close to you and run the machine.....

the biggest selling live album of all time , kiss alive, was brought back into the studio and reworked, mistakes fixed and applause added.....they were horrable

the most talented musicians in the world, do retakes, punch ins and even use anteres auto tune for when they sing a little flat...

there just different tools to build a product, the tools have changed over the years as in any industry....

Hey,

I've got an old digitech fs304 footswitch, and was wondering if it would work (for punching in/out) with my MR8? I guess I could just try it, but I'm not even sure what type of 1/4 cable I should use...T/R or T/R/S???

The pedal has three foot switches on it preset, key, and bypass, if that helps at all!

Thanx.

Last edited:
Back