MR-8 and MIDI

Enrique

I have this fairly simple question. I have a Fostex MR-8 digital multitrack recorder. I just recently found an old Yamaha keyboard that has MIDI capabilities. So, I purchased a few MIDI cables and hooked the two up. I have no experience with MIDI, so I read the manual for the MR-8. It talks about MTC and/or Clock. Can someone please help explain this to me?! I don't even know how to record stuff on the keyboard to its own databank!! I just assumed if I hooked the two together, I could just play and record at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Enrique, the Midi Time Code/Midi Clock are used to drive another sequencer. So for you to make use of this feature you would have to have an onboard sequencer in your keyboard. If you can create midi tracks in the keyboard, then you will be able to record them into the MR8 as wave files and use the MR8 to control the keyboard so that all the tracks will be in sync. I hope this makes sense.

Midi was a difficult concept for me to grasp for some reason... I'm a little thick sometimes. My suggestion is for you to spend some time reading about midi and check out the midi forum here on the board. It may be that all you need is the right program for your computer to generate the sounds. Good luck.

bd

Can you program little "snippets" of music on your synth? Little loops?

Midi does two major things:
1) transmits messages that says "This Note at THis Volume"- for example "Play Second Space C at 75% of full volume).
Basically, its like "electronic sound"- instead of a cord from your guitar to an amp sending sound signals, your keyboard can send "sound messages" to a computer for storage. The computer can then send this message back to your keyboard, and your keyboard will make a noise. Repeat until you are playing "Ooops! I did it again" on your keyboard. (joke! ;) )

2) MIDI can send a clock to sync everybody. Midi can also send "start playing" messages along with this. For machines that are semi-intelligent (like a drum machine, which has programmed patterns, and songs which are patterns linked together) they can understand these messages and start going.

Basically, its like a metronome from the MR8 that a drum machine (For example) can understand. This way everybody can play together.

Chances are, your synth does #1, but not #2.

The MR8 only does #2, and not #1.

Does this make any sense? Write back if you have any questions.

Back